chevy into mustang..

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

gn69z28
Pro
Pro
chevy into mustang..

Post by gn69z28 »

A friend is putting a 350 chevy engine into a mid 80's mustang..any one know what headers will fit.he cant afford the $700.00 special headers right now.he was told truck shorty headers would fit so he bought those and theres no way the steering shaft will fit..any ideas.
mach9
Pro
Pro

Post by mach9 »

He could always just put in it what belongs in it and he wouldn't need the high dollar headers. :wink:
Mack Johnson
'86 Mustang Footbraker
Pump gas 347
6.435 @ 104
gn69z28
Pro
Pro
Post by gn69z28 »

but then it wouldnt go as fast :lol:
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I won't get into Chev vs. Ford debate. Both can make whatever kind of power your willing to $pend for.

Lane automotive makes headers

S10 V8 conversion headers will work with shimming the steering column over a little bit.

here is a swap website with a lot of info.

http://www.350monstang.com/project.htm
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

I agree on avoiding the un-winnable brand war. But, I'm still surprised at how many have done this swap, and told me it was because the chevy is so much cheaper. That was true years ago, but not anymore. Since the wave of "5.0" popularity hit, Windsors have the aftermarket support and lower prices to equal the SBC. Doesn't make one better. Use what you like. And let that be the reasoning. If you're hoping to save money, you'll likely be disappointed. If you have a stockpile of parts, that's another story.
Grits & Gravy

Post by Grits & Gravy »

I have a 536 BBC in an 89 fox.

In my case I wanted the lightest and cheapest car that I could run and have any sort of luck in a class which specified "stock type suspension". I already have a blue ton of BBC parts so that was going too be the engine even if I ended up with a volvo.

Picking a foxbody for price, weight, and aftermarket stock suspension parts is kind of no brainer regardless of the engine you have.

I have Lemon's headers and they fit sweet, I also have an AJE k-member that made the swap a breeze.

I also have a friend with a foxbody for who we built a 460 based BBF, he makes excellent power... but if you want a big block in a foxbody the chevy fits far better than the Ford in my opinion.
gn69z28
Pro
Pro
Post by gn69z28 »

Thank you all for your responces,as stated it belongs to a friend.I am Chevy all the way,put I do respect any car that runs good.but I also agree that the mustang body is cheap and there are a lot of aftermarket parts out there for them..But I will stick with my Camaro's.
small change
Post by small change »

stock manifolds on opposite sides with a turbo stuck on each one.

no worries :wink: