Couple Clearance Issues - Help ASAP!

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

GotSomeRust
Pro
Pro

Couple Clearance Issues - Help ASAP!

Post by GotSomeRust »

I have some clearance issues with my slicks. I want to put some 30x9x15 slicks on my 83 Cutlass. I have a Ford 9" rearend under the car. See the link below for the obvious problem. I haven't painted the car yet, so I can probably do some cutting to make that fit. My other problem that I need a 15x8 rim. 3 inches of back space is the most I can have. I like the style of the Weld Draglite rim and the Centerline Auto Drag wheel. I can't find anything in a similar style with only 3 inches of back spacing. I don't want to spend an insane amount of money for custom rims. Has anyone ever used wheel spacers? Good/Bad? Or, can someone tell me where I find a similar style with 3 inch back space.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk28 ... /Clear.jpg
83 Cutlass
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

Go to the Turbo Buick/Grand National website. They have lots of instructions and pics a of mods to the wheelwells and also the frame.
MileHighMan
Guru
Guru

Re: Couple Clearance Issues - Help ASAP!

Post by MileHighMan »

GotSomeRust wrote:I have some clearance issues with my slicks. I want to put some 30x9x15 slicks on my 83 Cutlass. I have a Ford 9" rearend under the car. See the link below for the obvious problem. I haven't painted the car yet, so I can probably do some cutting to make that fit. My other problem that I need a 15x8 rim. 3 inches of back space is the most I can have. I like the style of the Weld Draglite rim and the Centerline Auto Drag wheel. I can't find anything in a similar style with only 3 inches of back spacing. I don't want to spend an insane amount of money for custom rims. Has anyone ever used wheel spacers? Good/Bad? Or, can someone tell me where I find a similar style with 3 inch back space.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk28 ... /Clear.jpg

I run wheel-spacers on my car. No problems. I believe they are 3/8in thick. My dana-60 is about 1 1/2in narrower than the stock rear was. Putting the tire closer to the leafspring. Good Luck. Dan.
GotSomeRust
Pro
Pro

Post by GotSomeRust »

I was measuring wrong on the rim I was using to test fit. It was a 4 inch back space. I was measuring inside the lip instead of outside. I ordered a 3.5 back spaced rim, so hopefully that'll be enough. If not, I'll throw in a spacer. I "fixed" my other clearance issue. I got creative with the cutoff tool. I got an inch of clearance now (see link). That should be enough.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk28 ... Clear1.jpg
83 Cutlass
99R/T
Post by 99R/T »

Remember, the tire will grow on the top end.
GotSomeRust
Pro
Pro

Post by GotSomeRust »

I got an inch of clearance now. The tire would have to grow 2 inches to hit, right? I shouldn't figured I get about 1 1/2 inches of grow at most. Am I correct? Thanks
83 Cutlass