Goodyear Tire Compound

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

GotSomeRust
Pro
Pro

Goodyear Tire Compound

Post by GotSomeRust »

I'm currently running 30x9x15 Goodyear D4B drag tires on my 83 cutlass. My brother is running 30x11.5x15 Goodyear D5 drag tires on his 69 firebird. I'm running 11.3s and he's running 11.2s in the 1/4. I can't hold my car in the burnout box very long, but I'm hooking up fine on the line. He could sit in the box all day long. He does one hellacious burnout. He's hooking up good at the line too. He's eating thru his slicks at a fast pace, most of it is on his back quarterpanel. My question is, out of D4B, D4A, D4, D5, & D6 which compound is better and why would someone choose 1 over the other?
83 Cutlass
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: Goodyear Tire Compound

Post by af2 »

GotSomeRust wrote: He could sit in the box all day long. He does one hellacious burnout. He's hooking up good at the line too. He's eating thru his slicks at a fast pace,
How cool is a burnout?
The first one at the far end wins right?
My D05 Hoosier's don't smoke hardly at all and leave pretty dam hard.

But if you want a smokey burn out then get a harder compound so it last more runs. :D
GURU is only a name.
Adam
stevef

Post by stevef »

try doing your burnout in a different gear. i know my car will drive away if i dont have enough wheel speed in the burnout
GotSomeRust
Pro
Pro

Post by GotSomeRust »

I do. I'm running a 2-spd PG. I break the tires loose in 1st and then put into 2nd. I bring it up to about 5500/6000 rpm. It starts pushing me out almost right away and I lay the pedal to the floor and come out of the hole.
83 Cutlass
GotSomeRust
Pro
Pro

Post by GotSomeRust »

My question is, if you can hookup with D4B's doing a short burnout, why would someone want to use D5's and have to do a long burnout to hookup? Guess I'm a little confused...
83 Cutlass
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

GotSomeRust wrote:My question is, if you can hookup with D4B's doing a short burnout, why would someone want to use D5's and have to do a long burnout to hookup? Guess I'm a little confused...
That is my question also! Why have the rubber on the car when it should be on the track?

There is a little John in all of us! :D
GURU is only a name.
Adam
GotSomeRust
Pro
Pro

Post by GotSomeRust »

Guess we're in agreement unless someone can come up with a good explanation why D5 would be a better compound. As you can see in this pic, I'm hooking up good with the D4B's...

83 Cutlass