70 Nova tire size

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Ron Gusack
Expert
Expert

70 Nova tire size

Post by Ron Gusack »

I'd like opinions on how to get a wider tire under my 70 Nova. The car has sub frame connectors and Goodyear 14x32's that barely fit. My painter wants to pull the quarters out to gain an inch, but I'm afraid that will make the quarters look bad. I'd like to try another tire, but the section widths of the other tires is always bigger than the Goodyears. Opinions please.

[img][img]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg81 ... k/nova.jpg[/img][/img]
The things you see when you ain't got your gun!
Ron Gusack
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron Gusack »

Has anyone here modified the "wheelhouse" just inside the outer skin of the quarter panel?
Procision-Auto
Guru
Guru

Post by Procision-Auto »

What size are you looking to install? Are you opposed to cutting up the
back seat area?

I could ask my chassis guy what he would suggest.
Ron Gusack
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron Gusack »

What size are you looking to install? Are you opposed to cutting up the
back seat area?

I could ask my chassis guy what he would suggest.

I'd like to be able to get a sectional width of 17.7 under it, which is what the Hoosier is. The Goodyear 1984 has a 17 inch sectional width. So, I only need about 3/4 inch more room.

I'm looking into moving the frame rails in and re-tubbing it, along with coil overs. If I do that, I'll make sure I can get a 15 inch wide tire under it. That's got to be an expensive route.

See if your chassis guy removes that inner panel, the "wheelhouse" is the term I've heard to describe it.

Thanks for your help.

Ron
Procision-Auto
Guru
Guru

Post by Procision-Auto »

Here is a response from Dean. He doesn't have account here, so
I'll quote him along with the photos he's referring to:
"If its the car in the pic and he wants a bigger tire he will have no choice but to cut out the existing wheel tub and modify the stock frame if it still has a stock frame ( I doubt it ) or do what should be done and put full tubs and ladder bars in the back. Then he could have it built for lots of tire clearance. But it will be costly. I wouldnt' recommend trying to gain the extra clearance by pulling the quarters out because even if you could gain the clearance needed to fit the tire in the opening the larger tire will likely scrub on the inside of the wheel well. If you want to post some pics of the mustang I did the back half on my photo bucket account to show him, feel free."

Photos courtesy of Dean at Full Throttle Welding
Ron Gusack
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron Gusack »

Here is a response from Dean. He doesn't have account here, so
I'll quote him along with the photos he's referring to:
Thank you for taking the time to get and post that information. The car does have full tubs and ladder bars. This might become a very expensive project. It sounds like a "start over" deal.
Tod74
Pro
Pro

Post by Tod74 »

why do you need a bigger tire? I've seen a lot of fast cars run on a 32 x 14 or smaller tire.
Ron Gusack
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron Gusack »

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:58 am Post subject:
why do you need a bigger tire? I've seen a lot of fast cars run on a 32 x 14 or smaller tire.
I want to be able to try other brands of 14x32's without rubbing. M/T's and Hoosier's 14x32's have larger cross sections then the Goodyear tire. I'm also not running a 14 inch wheel, which I'd like to change to. The expert tire people tell me that a wider wheel will make the cross section a little wider, which I can't afford with the current set-up.