Tip the can

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

JRog

Post by JRog »

I hear ya, I've got a lot going on right now. Baseball is just starting, school, and also working with my dad on the cars takes a lot of time. To say I'm ready for summer is an understatement.

I've known for the past few years that I want to be a mechanical engineer, for me it's not just about money, but its just something that I want to do. I want to be productive, and offer something to society.

Thanks for the info about the school, coming up on my senior year, I'm starting to decide on the colleges I would like to attend. I know that MSU (nearby state school) has a pretty good program, but I just want to get out of the state, as far as i know there aren't many positions for mechanical engineers in my area, so I would like to attend a school nearby potential employers, possible internships?

Also that class about the internal combustion engine sounds really interesting. As, I know it is likely a pipe dream, I would love to get into some racing program working on engines. I know I could go to a trade school like Wyo Tech, but I want to be more than just a mechanic or technician on these things.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Engineering is not like vocational training. You do not go to school to learn about some subject. You try to learn the engineering process.

The engineering process consists of:
imagine
design
calculate
construct
operate
evaluate.

And then the process starts all over again.

Unfortunately, some schools do not address all of the necessary steps. These must then be learned on the job. If you can.
JRog

Post by JRog »

That's why I want to go someplace where internships are available, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of things do you do as an engineer, not so much the outline, which you already mentioned, but in your own field on a day to day basis.

Again I cannot express how much I appreciate your help, I am dedicated to being an engineer, and I want to prepare myself the best I can.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

what sort of things do you do as an engineer,
My particular area is automotive research and race engineering; but that encompansses a very wide path. What we do mostly is solve problems.

Today it is very difficult for a single discipline engineer; there are so many different facets and disciplines that it becomes necessary to know something about a very wide range of subjects. And graduate school is almost mandatory.

Traditionally, many engineers rapidly advance into management where new skills and techniques must be learned, often on the job.

In school, you are given an assignment and the answers are often in the back of the book. There is a recognized and accepted solution set.

In the real world, nobody even tells you what the problems are, much less how to solve them.
jdavis
Pro
Pro
Post by jdavis »

David Redszus wrote:
what sort of things do you do as an engineer,
My particular area is automotive research and race engineering; but that encompansses a very wide path. What we do mostly is solve problems.
Job openings?
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Job openings?
Job openings in race are rapidly disappearing. In fact, experienced race engineers are looking for other lines of work. Teams are disappearing.

In my opinion, a major factor has been the silly rules imposed by sanctioning bodies. In their rabid pursuit of a good show, they have obscurred one original benefit of racing. To improve the product.

Obviously, restrictions intended to reduce costs did not work. At any level.

Racing has been dumbed down to make it more popular and entertaining. The likes of folks like H. Miller, S. Yunick, A.J. Foyt, D. Gurney, D. Garlits, and F. Porsche would never find a home in todays racing world.

When racing loses its sponsors, television swoons over "reality shows", and the fickle, boozed up fans looking for crashes go somewhere else, racing can return to its roots. Which is imagination and innovation.

Run whatcha brung. If ya cain't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.
If you lose, go back to your garage and find some speed. Then come back.
jdavis
Pro
Pro
Post by jdavis »

For those that care, I finally managed to graduate last saturday. 7 classes and 20 credit hours is kinda rough senior year since classes dont tend to get easier.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Congrats.

Which graduate school will you attend?
jdavis
Pro
Pro
Post by jdavis »

Nah gonna go to work for a bit I guess. Looking at jobs for with the feds, they seem to be one of the few with plenty of cash to throw around still. Well at least they can print more.

Finances say grad school is a no go for awhile, so does my lady friend. Maybe in a couple of years, at some point I will obtain a doctorate.
RyonPro1
Post by RyonPro1 »

Congrats!!!
I'm pushing through right now at SIUE, just down the road huh? Best of luck finding some good work.

Shawn
In God we trust, all others bring data!
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Finances say grad school is a no go for awhile, so does my lady friend. Maybe in a couple of years, at some point I will obtain a doctorate.
That is a wonderful goal, just don't wait too long. An engineerng doctorate is a lengthy process.

Some employers will fund a doctorate in exchange for an employment contract. Worth looking into.
jdavis
Pro
Pro
Post by jdavis »

Yeah thats what i'm looking into is finding an employer to back me.

Getting my bs was a lengthy process too. I first got my 2 year degree in computer info sys and then went with engineering and got burned out on it when I finished that. I ran a loading dock for a couple years quit moved and spent 2 years getting my bsme. Giving up a good paying job and going back to school after a period of years is too tough for most. The transition wasnt too tough for me, but thats probably because one of my habbits is picking up old text books on the cheap or by the pound and going through them :). One of the things I learned in school is I dont need the classes at all just the books :wink:.
RyonPro1
Post by RyonPro1 »

Gotta love the used book fairs and garage sales for a good supply of texts.

Shawn
In God we trust, all others bring data!
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

One of the things I learned in school is I dont need the classes at all just the books
Congrats. You are now in grad school. At some point you will realize that the books may be inadequate as well.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

John Wallace wrote:Adger, most don't have the sliding rear window.
It's how to throw it out the driver window, so it lands in the bed.

:lol:
See, he IS a "pro" :lol: