Anyone have both Dynomation and EA Pro?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

65mustang393

Anyone have both Dynomation and EA Pro?

Post by 65mustang393 »

I wanted to know what you thought of each one.

I just picked up Dynomation 5 and have started to work with it. It's definitely different than EA Pro and I'm not quite sure what to make of it so far. The wave action and emptying/filling give different results for the same camshaft and that really confuses me.

Here's an example. I used a 347 SBF EFI (1994) stroker with an F303 camshaft as the baseline. I plug in a camshaft that EA pro says will work well and still maintain good vacuum for the computer (basically more lift, less duration, and wider LSA).

I plug those same specs into Dynomation 5 and the E/F model says the new cam will make less average power. I then use the wave action model and the results are more in line with EA pro (more average power).

Any helpful tips on when you should consider one set of results over another (wave action over E/F or vice versa)?

Thank you in advance for the help.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I've got the old DOS version of DM, but as I understand it, the E/F program in the new DM package is very much a 'quick 'n simple' estimator. I'd believe the Rolex time, not the Timex.

PS: In my version, DM badly underestimates the required EVC point. I've heard that Ver. 5 does too. When optimizing events, it never wants more than ~30°, so what I do is just follow where it leads, then go for a cam that matches the lift and other 3 O/C events of the simulation, but spec it so the EVC is a couple of degrees more than the IVO. This is often 15 or more degrees later than what DM suggests.
Similarly, when entering specs for an actual cam, it is necessary to pull as much as 15° or more off the actual EVC event in order for DM to correctly estimate performance.
PS: In my version, DM badly underestimates the required EVC point. I've heard that Ver. 5 does too. When optimizing events, it never wants more than ~30°, so what I do is just follow where it leads, then go for a cam that matches the lift and other 3 O/C events of the simulation, but spec it so the EVC is a couple of degrees more than the IVO. This is often 15 or more degrees later than what DM suggests.
Similarly, when entering specs for an actual cam, it is necessary to pull as much as 15° or more off the actual EVC event in order for DM to correctly estimate performance.

One more thing: Don't know wbout the newer versions, but the generic cam spec entries in the DOS Dynomation version call for valve events at 0.006" tappet lift, but the results are a good match for real engine data when the 0.020" events are entered.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.