Book recommendations

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Book recommendations

Post by Fahlin Racing »

Ok, so I am looking for books that are more in-depth with sciences but also vehicles etc. I have books with Physics, Chemistry etc in them but they are basic. I am looking more towards dynamic type books science wise, for example thermal or fluid dynamics etc.
AND
Books I have as of right now, performance wise, are Street Supercharging by Pat Ganahl, Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams and How To Make Your Car Handle By Fred Puhn.

What should I be looking at?

Thanks again guys for the help :D
Jim "Iron Giant" Fahlin ~ A high performance car is like a guitar, you have to tune it to achieve your best operation and pull ahead of the competition.

Gas & Diesel motorsports
Greezer
Pro
Pro
Post by Greezer »

Have a Nice Day
Last edited by Greezer on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

Yeah, I dont mind buying new, but if its used, its just a plus money saving wise. I think I might check the book store at my school I am currently attending this coming week. I looked at the books available in Speedway Motors and Summit but there is not too many I am interested in. I will be keeping my Modern Diesel book (even though its more on 2cycle engines) and will be buying the new book they are going to use after I graduate.

I have a few books on Ford engines, Chrysler engines, Chevy engines and a Pontiac book for engine parts and interchanging & some performance aspects. I haven't looked completely through the stuff on Speedtalk that is for sale, but if anyone has input on the stuff sold on this site (that they have bought) let me know. I am all ears on anything! :D
Jim "Iron Giant" Fahlin ~ A high performance car is like a guitar, you have to tune it to achieve your best operation and pull ahead of the competition.

Gas & Diesel motorsports
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

A book that was recently recommended here and I happen to own is the Bosch Automotive Handbook seventh edition. $31.72 at buy.com

Bosch Automotive Handbook - 7th Edition

All about automotive engineering in a pocketbook

Robert Bosch GmbH published the first incarnation of the Automotive Handbook in 1932. The original preface to this edition introduced the book as follows: "These `Technical Tables' are an attempt to give users of our products a small, handy collection of the interesting formulas, values, and figures - drawn mainly from automotive technology -that are otherwise scattered across various magazines." Three years later, the "Technical Tables" were renamed the "Automotive Handbook."

Seventy-five years later, the Bosch Automotive Handbook is an indispensable reference source of precise information on the subject of automotive technology. This brand-new 7th edition has been extensively updated and extended throughout.

Contents - central themes

* Basic principles: physics, materials science, machine parts
* Sensors: measurement principles, designs
* Internal-combustion engines: gasoline engine, diesel engine
* Engine peripherals: cooling, supercharging, exhaust-gas system
* Emission-control and diagnosis legislation
* Gasoline-engine management: mixture formation, ignition, Motronic, minimizing pollutants
* Diesel-engine management: fuel-injection systems, minimizing pollutants
* Alternative drives: liquefied petroleum gas, natural gas, hybrid drive
* Chassis systems: suspension, wheels, steering
* Vehicle safety systems: ABS, TCS, ESP, ELB
* Lighting technology
* Automotive electrics: vehicle electrical system, starting systems, EMC
* Occupant-protection systems, driver-assistance systems
* Data interchange and automotive networking

Bosch Automotive Handbook-7th ed.
Last edited by Keith Morganstein on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
laser3kw

Post by laser3kw »

Go to google and type the query :

internal combustion engine book

Look at the returns and go to the "Best Book Buys - Internal Combustion Engines Books" link.
Some really in depth stuff there.
RyonPro1
Post by RyonPro1 »

Also, try googling book fairs and include your city. Many, many good used book fairs around. Also try Community College Libraries, University Libraries, etc. Most have book fairs at different times of the year. I am an engineering student and I head straight for the textbooks. You never know what you are going to find but sometimes you are surprised. Many prices end up from .50 to $3.00. Can't go wrong with that for a reference.

Depending on what you are looking for and how devoted you are, look for fluid mechanics books and/or things dealing with Mechaincs/Kinematics of machines etc. The only problem you 'may' have is needing a background in Statics/Dynamics first. But, of course, you can find those books too. Look for a course outline of a Engineering school and find what books they use. Remember, some books build on other classes info, so don't worry if it gets difficult. Keep on trying. Brushing up on math skills never hurts.

Also, MIT has many classes online for free. They have homework, tests, syllibi etc. Just google, MIT Opencourseware.

And most of all www.speedtalk.com

Shawn
In God we trust, all others bring data!
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

Thank you Shawn for the book fair idea, I never had that thought in my mind.

Gas & Diesel motorsports
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) offers a wide range of technical books for sale.

In addition, they have thousands of SAE white papers on virtually every imaginable automotive subject.

Do a Google search for SAE to access their bookstore.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Also, Google Cartech books, and check Amazon's automotive section for a large number of useful titles...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
wbclassics

Re: Book recommendations

Post by wbclassics »

Fahlin Racing wrote:I am looking more towards dynamic type books science wise, for example thermal or fluid dynamics etc.

<SNIP>Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams and How To Make Your Car Handle By Fred Puhn.

What should I be looking at?
Carroll Smith's books are excellent, a perfect blend of practicallity and sound scientific theory. I purchased "Engineer to Win" by Carroll Smith back in high school and it may rank as one of the top five automotive books I own in terms of its general usefulness and quality content.

The two books on engine design and function I most often reach for are Internal Combustion Engines and Air Pollution by Edward Obert and also the two volume set The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice by Taylor. Taylor covers a little of everything, where many of the other engine books won't cover the structure of mechanical components like rods and cranks as they're purely looking at the engine from a research point of view and in those cases things like hollow crank journals don't seem to matter much for the things they cover.

Used book sales, especially near major universities that have established and large mechanical engineering programs, are sure to yield some quality buys. I've found books at these sales that solely cover things like piston ring design (albeit from 1941), but a number of the equations have proved useful and for the $2 I paid for the book it kept me from having to find the information somewhere else. Another more humourous find was a book by representatives of the British motor industry that just covers corrosion project of vehicles, published in 1969. It is quite hilarious that they thought themselves the authority on rust prevention when British vehicles of that era were known to quickly disintegrate into rust.

Used engineering type books are usually in good condition, people either keep them and take care of them... or use them once, and get rid of them, so they've been lightly used. You'll save a bundle buying many of the higher end text books used.

Kai
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

Nice, yeah the University of Minnesota has a big engineering program from what I hear.

Gas & Diesel motorsports