Technical Vocabulary

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Technical Vocabulary

Post by Fahlin Racing »

Ok, so I am the current Auto Club President at the college I am attending. The members would like technical terms. Abbreviations and the definitions. These are what I have already in my personal notes so far...

VOTC = Valve Opening at Top dead Center
TDC = Top Dead Center
BDC = Bottom Dead center
Advance = Moving the timing backwards closer or “sooner” in rotation of the rotor - points & crankshaft angle.
Retard = Moving the timing forward away or “farther” in rotation of rotor - points.
Dwell = Amount of time it takes for a coil to energize before distributing electricity through the ignition system.
Firing order = An organized order of certain amount of cylinders in an engine firing or “igniting” at a given point in the cycle of each cylinder.
THG = Tapered Hook Groove
Tolerance = A specific “gap” between 2 parts in a given unit for operating properly
VPC = Valve to Piston clearance
Valve spring bind = When a higher lift camshaft is used will sometimes cause the spring itself to “bind” from being compressed too much. This generally happens when somebody uses factory springs with larger lift Hi-po cam. That means the valve seat must be cut deeper to acquire the higher spring w/ larger lobed camshaft & update to a stronger spring.
MEP = Mean Effective Pressure (Pressure during each of the 4 strokes)
NA = Naturally aspirated
NOS = Nitrious Oxide System
Installed height = The physical height of the valve spring when securely installed with keepers & retainer.
Spark blowout = Can be caused by excessive spark plug gap or highly turbulent combustion chamber environment. Such conditions can occur because of Blowers, turbos or other superchargers. Also high compression.
FPS = Feet per second (piston speed)
FPM = Feet per minute (piston speed)
RPM = Repetition Per Minute (crankshaft, camshaft)
Stoichiometric mixture = 14.7:1 of A/F - Chemically correct
Rich stoichiometric ratio is considered below 14.7 :1
Lean stoichiometric ratio is considered above 14.7 :1
Ignition delay = The actual period after the spark has occurred until the fuel begins to burn and flame propagation starts.
Flame propagation = The spreading of the flame within an area. The propagation can change speeds as turbulence gains intensity while compression pressure rises. Higher pressures are caused by the valve timing, crankshaft angle, piston design. Higher turbulence can be done by turbo or blower/supercharger also.
Turbulence = A disruption in flow of air through a given passage or area.
Audible detonation = Non silent occurrence inside the combustion chamber
Inaudible detonation = Silent occurrence inside the combustion chamber
Inaudible & Audible detonation occur because of carbon or foreign matter stuck to the piston face or cylinder head chamber. This causes more or additional unwanted rise in compression, which in turn, ignites the lower octane rated fuels sooner than the actual spark ignition.
Reversion = Backwards flow of exhaust gases or intake A/F mixture.
Standoff = A/F mixture gets pushed out the induction system
BTU = British Thermal Unit
Over-square engine = Bore is larger than the stroke
Under-square engine = Stroke is larger than the bore
Square engine = Stroke & bore is the same length
MOI = Moment of Inertia

I know there is plenty more out there. I am not looking for extreme scientific names, but if that (whatever it is) is the only word or phrase for a certain occurrance that is complex, so be it. So if you can guys, please add more vocab w/ definition to the list. Its very appreciated! 8)
Jim "Iron Giant" Fahlin ~ A high performance car is like a guitar, you have to tune it to achieve your best operation and pull ahead of the competition.

Gas & Diesel motorsports
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

Here are some more that were in my notebook that weren't in that list from my computer.

BBDC = Before Bottom Dead Center
BTDC = Before Top Dead Center
ABDC = After Bottom Dead Center
ATDC = After Top Dead Center
EVC = Exhaust Valve Closed
EVO = Exhaust Valve Open
IVC = Intake valve Closed
IVO = Intake Valve Open

The only 2 things I am not adding to the list at the moment is the Positive and Negative pressure waves that happen in the engines exhaust & intake systems. I have not found literature on these two beasts to understand them, therefore that is why I am not adding those yet.
Jim "Iron Giant" Fahlin ~ A high performance car is like a guitar, you have to tune it to achieve your best operation and pull ahead of the competition.

Gas & Diesel motorsports
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

ABS - Anti-Lock Braking System
ICL - Intake Centerline
ECL - Exhaust Centerline
LSA - Lobe Separation Angle
CD - Coefficient of Drag
CFM - Cubic Feet per Minute
CG - Center of Gravity
CI (ci) - Cubic Inch
CNC - Computerized Numerical Control
DOHC - Double Overhead Camshaft
DOT - (Federal) Department Of Transportation
ECM - Electronic Control Module
ECU - Electronic Control Unit
EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection system.
EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation
EGT - Exhaust Gas Temperature
FMU - Fuel Management Unit
GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer.
OHC – OverHead Camshaft
OHV - OverHead Valve.
SOHC - Single Overhead Camshaft
Masher Manufacturing
Expert
Expert
Post by Masher Manufacturing »

Tolerance = A specific “gap” between 2 parts in a given unit for operating properly
Tolerance is a range of units that is acceptable. 1"+ or - 1/8" , .500 + - .001 , 1* + - 1/2* .

Clearance is "A specific “gap” between 2 parts in a given unit for operating properly "

Bosch has a automotive reference book, having a look at one would be a good idea as would looking on the SAE site books.
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

Thanks for correcting Masher, wasn't thinking 100% on that one as you can see. Thanks to you also Mr. Weiss. I am sure I will find more words & abbreviations in threads while I cruise the forum from day to day.

Gas & Diesel motorsports
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

One thing I do not understand is the BBL when referring ot the carburetor. I understand 2v or 2 venturies, but no idea on the BBL. Anyone know what it stands for?

Gas & Diesel motorsports
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

BBL, as in 4-bbl carb is the illiterate's abbreviation for barrel. Even Holley uses it - Holley Performance Marine 4 Bbl Performance Products

thnx, jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

Well atleast my assumption was in the right direction.

CSA = Cross Section Area - physical area of the intake and exhaust runners size, port dimension.
Piston Compression Height = measurement from the center of the wrist pin bore to the top of the piston.
Deck Height = The distance from the top of the piston to the cylinder block deck at TDC.
Cylinder Block Height = The distance between the center of the crankshaft journal to the cylinder block deck.
Stroke = 2 times the crankshaft throw of the crankpin/rod journal (center of the crank main ot the center of the rod main)
Swept Volume = CID per cylinder or the entire engine itself
(Bore x Bore x stroke x .7854 x # of cylinders)
Discharge Coefficient = How well a valve is flowing for its physical size(Valves)
Open Seat Load = The pressure measurement at the minimum allowable valve spring compression height
Closed Seat load = The pressure measurement at the installed height position with valve closed w/ keepers & retainer in place.
Valve Spring Free Height = Valve spring free standing with no pressure applied (not installed)
CGI = Clean Gas Induction - (Caterpillar's version of EGR on DPF equipped diesel truck exhaust systems)

On the Discharge Coefficient, what other parts of the engine use this term? Thanks in advance!

If you seem one of my definitions can possibly be worded more correctly please correct guys.

Gas & Diesel motorsports
nitrowarrior
Post by nitrowarrior »

RPM stands for Revolutions Per Minute. Using the term "repetitive" can lead to confusion as the ICE (internal combustion engine) is a reciprocating object and contains many repeating movements. Not all of the parts will repeat their action equally in a minute so using "revolution" as a reference should be more correct.
I don't mind when you run me over, just honk the horn first.
Mr. P.

Post by Mr. P. »

You forgot

TQ
HP
FT-LBS
CU-IN & L (litre) and conversion between displacements
F (farenheight)
Other units of measurement
MS, MSEC (millisecond)
V=volts
A=amps
Polarity (-=negative, +=positive)

A pretty new one these days, MBT = "minimum best timing"

Mr. P.

PCM = powertrain control module
TCM = transmission control module
BCM = body control module
Either learn to fix it, or learn to write checks.
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

How would I describe Short Side Radius correctly?

Gas & Diesel motorsports
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

Ok, actually having time to google the term Short Side Radius, I realize it was more simplistic that I had first thought.

Correct me if I describe it wrong.

Inside Radius - Also known as the Short Side radius of the port starting from the seat insert surface opposite the valve seat location into the runner of the cylinder head. Becomes the floor of the runner.

Outside Radius - The upper area or the port radius opposite of the short side/inside radius area also starting from the seat insert surface that is opposite the valve seat location into the runner of the cylinder head. Becomes the roof of the runner.

*Both areas, Outside & inside radius' transition the bowl into the runner area of the cylinder head.

Throat - The inside diameter of the valve seat insert

On this throat diameter for makign good power, I have read the throat should be 90% of the valve head diameter. Has anyone heard others?

Another to just verify a calculation on cross section areas...

Bore x Bore x stroke x .7854 = cylinder displacement
Multiplied by
Rpm of desired peak torque/ 88,200

or can it be done another way that is more accurrate or just as accurrate?

Gas & Diesel motorsports
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

Port Flow Stall = The point where the air flow quality slows substantially in the port/runner. Too much port velocity.
SpG = Specific Gravity
Last edited by Fahlin Racing on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Gas & Diesel motorsports
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

Gross Torque & Horsepower ratings = what the engine can achieve with ideal conditions.
Net Torque & Horsepower ratings = What the engine can achieve installed in a vehicle.
Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) = the engines efficiency in making power at a particular point & consuming a minimal amount fuel at that point also. Optimum efficiency occurs at peak torque production.
BSFC = Fuel pounds per hour / brake horsepower

Gas & Diesel motorsports
Fahlin Racing
Pro
Pro

Post by Fahlin Racing »

ICE = Internal Combustion Engine

Gas & Diesel motorsports