Data Loggers ?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

rsowell

Data Loggers ?

Post by rsowell »

What data loggers do you use for vehicle testing? Circle track or Drag. What are the most common data points you capture?

I have been a system programmer for 20 years and have some low cost ideas for the sportsman racers. Trying to see if it's practical to pursue.

Thanks for any input,
ron
bob cook

Post by bob cook »

There are quite a few systems out there. Racepak, Autometer, Edlebrock, and countless others. What to measure - RPM, Pan Vacuum, Boost, Wideband Oxygen sensor/s, up to 8 EGTs, Battery voltage, Fuel Pressure, Oil pressure, Water temp, Oil Temp, Oil pressure, Driveshaft rpm, Input shaft rpm, Blower shaft rpm, Shock travel, G force, Inlet air temp. This is what I'd be looking for in a system. I'm sure there are more that others would like and I can't think of right now.
let r eat

Post by let r eat »

wheel speed sensors..........
MaJohnson
Re: Data Loggers ?

Post by MaJohnson »

Wideband Oxygen sensor :D :D
91vette

Post by 91vette »

rsowell wrote:What data loggers do you use for vehicle testing? Circle track or Drag. What are the most common data points you capture?

I have been a system programmer for 20 years and have some low cost ideas for the sportsman racers. Trying to see if it's practical to pursue.

Thanks for any input,
ron
I think you need to decide if youare testing the engine or vehicle.
For a circle track vehicle
shock pots and sample at least 250hz
4 wheel speed sensors 100hz
steered angle 100hz
brake pressure fron and rear 20 hz
accelerometer x y z 20 hz
TPS 20 hz
RPM 20 hz
Beacon reciever and transmitter good ones are expensive but needed if you want multiple segments or in a pinch a good gps will work too and have an inexpensive beacon reciever /transmitter setup for just the start/finish line. The gps solution being useful is a function of the speed of the car.

Obviously if engine testing is wanted the array of sensors will change completly the same for drag raceing.
I think youare going to find that high quality sensors will be many times more expensive than a modest data logger and usually the deal breaker.
If you use cheap sensors or slow sample rates you will have data that is useless and at times worse than none.
Dave
RednGold86Z
Expert
Expert

Post by RednGold86Z »

We're approaching the beginning of the internet with the first post... just FYI. 2005 is coming back to haunt us alllllllll :D
91vette

Post by 91vette »

Honestly didn't notice the date.. Oh well maybe useful to someone at some point in time..
Dave