broach cutter sharpening

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

dwilliams
Guru
Guru
broach cutter sharpening

Post by dwilliams »

My Van Norman 530 broach didn't have the cutter grinder with it when I bought it. I'm going to need to sharpen the cutters eventually, so I've been keeping an eye out for a grinder.

It occurs to me, from looking at the pictures, that it's just a motor with a lap and a post for an angle adapter, remarkably like my Kwik-Way boring bar's sharpening setup.

I've seen other adapters for doing stuff with the boring bar lap, so does anyone know of a place that might sell something like that to sharpen Van Norman broach cutters?

Failing that, does anyone know the recommended geometry for the Van Norman cutters? The manual just says "position A" and "position B".
rrp
Re: broach cutter sharpening

Post by rrp »

The motor does have a diamond lap on it, however, there is a block with multiple holes drilled for different angles that the cutter goes into. I have one, but we use it. Maybe someone close to you has one and you could have them sharpen them for you, doesn't take too long. You can also try some of the used machine tool places, they might have something.
dwilliams
Guru
Guru

Post by dwilliams »

Batting zero on both of those, so far. That's why I asked if anyone knew what the angles were.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Have never been that happy with resharpened bit for the 530/570. I had resharpened some on the VN tool (owned by a friend) and had some professionally resharpened. If they are not exactly the same, you'll never get an even cut al the way around. It's tough enough to get a good fine finish with a 530 and I don't like to spend a day messing with and tweaking the cutters.

Now I just buy new ones. They are around $15 ea from silver-seal. As long as you don't cut anything stupid (i.e. exhaust manifolds) they last a long time.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
dwilliams
Guru
Guru

Post by dwilliams »

Do you have any experience with the single-round-insert conversions?
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

dwilliams wrote:Do you have any experience with the single-round-insert conversions?
Do you have a link? I've never heard of them for a 530.

If you mean mean the CBN style, I've seen such conversions for the Winona and similar machines. The problem is the 530 cutting head is geared with the travel. You can't speed it up to use a single or dual bit cutter head.

Goodson once sold a set with the replaceable triangular inserts. I've heard they're not so great.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Post by Speedbump »

My 530 has the round inserts. Bought it used that way. I hesitate to judge the finish here as some folks ideas of acceptable are different than others. It's certainly not "baby butt smooth", but I do get a better finish than with the blockmaster I used before. I've wondered what the original cutters finish was like. I have them but have never been willing to spend the time.... When I use the flywheel speed for a finish cut, I think it's a pretty good product, but it's what I have so I may be biased. When I do hit a hard spot or have a bad exeriment, it's nice to rotate the cutters a little, index/check them with the fixture and press on. Wish I could help with the procurement but I can't other than give the insert part number.
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Speedbump wrote:My 530 has the round inserts. Bought it used that way. I hesitate to judge the finish here as some folks ideas of acceptable are different than others. It's certainly not "baby butt smooth", but I do get a better finish than with the blockmaster I used before. I've wondered what the original cutters finish was like. I have them but have never been willing to spend the time.... When I use the flywheel speed for a finish cut, I think it's a pretty good product, but it's what I have so I may be biased. When I do hit a hard spot or have a bad exeriment, it's nice to rotate the cutters a little, index/check them with the fixture and press on. Wish I could help with the procurement but I can't other than give the insert part number.
So you have 8 bits, each taking a round insert for a cutter? Wouldn't mind seeing those. I don't plan on a new machine anytime soon, but if there is a better set-up than OEM style, I will check it out.
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Post by Speedbump »

Keith, sorry to speak out of school but I have a 570 now, not a 530. It has 10 cutters. Don't know if they are the same cutter but I'll try and post a pic of the cutter I have.
2010_0216V12build0038.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Speedbump wrote:Keith, sorry to speak out of school but I have a 570 now, not a 530. It has 10 cutters. Don't know if they are the same cutter but I'll try and post a pic of the cutter I have.
2010_0216V12build0038.JPG
Same cutter, just the 570 has 10 and the 530 has 8. Thanks for the photo. Wonder who makes those?
dwilliams
Guru
Guru

Post by dwilliams »

Mine has been retrofitted with a variable-speed DC motor on the table feed.
boschoff

Post by boschoff »

Hi DWilliams, read your question about cutter sharpener jigs. I don’t know of any for sale but consider this: We sharpen them for a reasonable fee and turn them around quickly. More important tho is that we have a special formula for making them work much better than original. New is not always better. We have been sharpening them for 20+ years and trying new things with them. We have been able to improve the width of the cutting path resulting in a smoother surface and less “troughs” In case you need a new cutter we can sharpen it with the others to make it work better also. A complete set of new cutters should be redone with our method. All cutters in set are matched cut. We are featured on out new website but it is not active yet. (couple of months) http://www.regismfg.com but we do the re-sharpening now. For further info you can e-mail webmaster@regismfg.com We charge 11.50 per cutter +.50 for shipping. We take paypal and we expect pre-payment when you send cutters to Culver wd 1325 e 18th street LA 90021 attn Dale
Thanks for your attention, Bob -webmaster