how to make incline manometer

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

td99
how to make incline manometer

Post by td99 »

Hi guys i was hoping to get some help here. iv got my flow bench pretty much done except for making the incline manometer. i know that its not linear but i am unsure how to determine where the diff. percentage marks go. (the manometer is 29 in. long)i have a chart that shows changes in inches. for instance 28" is equal to 100%. it gives the changes in inches for every percentage point but 5% is equal to .07" how am i supposed to measure and mark that. the design for the manometer is based off the one used on the msd style flow bench if that helps.

Cody
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

Re: how to make incline manometer

Post by Erland Cox »

You have to get a calibration plate and test. The incline manometer is a square root scale. I use a 1 meter scale and use the mm:s as that is much easier than using inches. So 100 mm is the square root of 100 or 10. 1000 mm is 31,6. I have a weather calibration that i do each time I do a test: the square root of (( Temp in Kelvin / pressure in hPa ) X inclination height in meters ). Then I have a flow constant numberthat I multiply that with. I use a pitot tube and my total flow constant is somewhere around 11.25. So the square root of the inclined manometer X 11.25 is the flow in CFM on my bench. I use 300mm or 0.3 meters of inclination. Hope that this helped a little. Erland.
coulterracn

Post by coulterracn »

Try the flowbench forum and download the excel spreadsheet to calculate your Manometer and orifice.
http://www.tractorsport.com/cgi-bin/for ... ;f=17;t=34
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Please, DON'T use mercury b/c if it break's your place could turn into an EPA Superfund site regarding clean-up!

You won't have enough money to clean up the mess!

Just a little ditty as JCM would say to tell you how it can turn out.

There was a guy in the Dakota's that had a meat locker and had 85,000 pounds of Buffalo in it. Well he went broke, and the meat rotted and turned into a mess!

Anyway, he worked with the little town he was in and everybody got it cleaned up and the bill came to something like $13,000 or so.

UNTIL EPA got into it and they billed him for $4,000,000 for them doing NOTHING.. I figure this is just a case of our beloved GOV wanting his LAND/PROPERTY!!!
pdq67