3D scanning

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

thisispeace
3D scanning

Post by thisispeace »

I found a gently used NextEngine scanner for sale, so I went ahead and purchased it. I have some Cup style JE pistons, some Jesel rocker arms, and Carrillo rods that I'm dying to scan, but I'm itching to scan a cylinder head.

I should be able to get most of the detail, except for the water jackets. If I can scan them, it would take a lot of the guesswork out of making my 3D models for FEA simulations, and might let me do some CFD modeling if the ports come out right.

Does anyone know where I can find a junk SB2.2 head for cheap? Damaged, ruined, cracked--all of that is fine, even preferred. I anticipate cutting off three of the four cylinders in order to make scanning easier. Lowest price on eBay seems to be around $700 for a good repairable core, which puts this leg of the project out of my range for a while.
bobqzzi
Expert
Expert
Re: 3D scanning

Post by bobqzzi »

No help on the head, but I'm wondering where you are as I'd like to get a few 4 cylinder crankshafts done so I can have them modeled in FEA for balancing purposes.
thisispeace

Post by thisispeace »

I'm based in West Lafayette, Indiana. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

The scanner arrives next week. How big are the crankshafts?
bobqzzi
Expert
Expert

Post by bobqzzi »

23" long or so, weigh 29=31 lbs. Standard 180 I4 crank
thisispeace

Post by thisispeace »

I think that's out of the range for the NextEngine scanner. They report the maximum field size as 13.5" x 10.1".

I might be able to scan the top half and bottom half separately, but that's speculative for now.
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »