Valve spring tester & height indicators ??

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Ron Miller
Pro
Pro
Valve spring tester & height indicators ??

Post by Ron Miller »

I bought a new Rimac 1000 lbs valve spring tester. I want to install a Vertical Digital Height Indicator. The only source I see is one from Goodson order # VST-DS. This model is a direct bolt on. Just about everything from Goodson is way over priced. Anybody here have a Better & Cheaper Idea [-o< . Also if you have maid one for your self,,,, can you post a picture or e-mail then to me at rmiller249@comcast.net

Thanks for looking,,
Ron Miller
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Re: Valve spring tester & height indicators ??

Post by bill jones »

-the exact same digital display is like $36 at:

http://www.archcity.net/Supplies5_Reado ... eFind.html

-might be worth your time to make the brackets.

-I use a inch stop for setup--gives me 1.0" installed height to 3.0" maximum.

-or buy a 6" electronic dial caliper from Harbor Freight for about the same price and figure out how to mount it.
------------------------------------------------------------
-personally I happen to use a two inch travel dial indicator which was pretty easy to mount and adjust up and down on one of my spring testers----and I have the Archcity readouts on my mill and I use another for checking long crankshaft strokes.
Speedbump
Guru
Guru

Post by Speedbump »

I also use a 2" indicator, about $25 from MSC and made my own brackets using a 1" bushing and some flat stock. I use a 1" standard to set/check the indicator so my check range is also from 1" to 3". Got the idea from a picture from one of the long time regulars on this site, might even have been Bill.
Speedbump
"If it was easy, everybody would do it."
Ron Miller
Pro
Pro

Post by Ron Miller »

Bill & Speedbump,

Thanks for the suggestions and link =D> . I like the all suggestions. Its off to HF to buy the cheap 6" electronic dial caliper that is on sale now for $ 9.99. If I screw this one up #-o ,,, well its not much of a loss dollar wi$e.

One last thing, I did a web search and found this Today,,,,,, http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-Z ... -Read-Out/. I hope this well help out others.
Ron Miller