aspiring noob

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

whitehendrix

aspiring noob

Post by whitehendrix »

hey guys. name is Jim. obviously i'm the FNG here.. i came here with the sole purpose to lurk and learn. i am an "experienced" engine builder.. meaning, according to some ( if not most) of the guys here, i know enough to be dangerous. i am an accomplished machinist, welder and fabricator, hold an electrical engineering degree with with emphasis on controls engineering and PLC programming and implantation, robotics and power distribution, and i have owned my own motorcycle repair shop for 5 years.. was a lead tech at another one for 2 years.

my main deal is i would LOVE more than anything else to become one of the leading engine builders in my area. i have a turbo bike i am building myself. have done alot of math, and i am no stranger to boost.. but some things the wizards and engine-building elders i know sorta escapes my realm of knowledge.

so, with any luck i will learn much here.. hoping that not too many people will take offense if i butt in and ask questions!
glad to be here and if i can contribute at all, i most certainly will. thanks!
"Whitey" AKA Jim
Electrical engineer, PLC programmer, machinist, fabricator, wheelie expert.
In-Tech
Vendor

Re: aspiring noob

Post by In-Tech »

whitehendrix wrote:hey guys. name is Jim. obviously i'm the FNG here.. i came here with the sole purpose to lurk and learn. i am an "experienced" engine builder.. meaning, according to some ( if not most) of the guys here, i know enough to be dangerous. i am an accomplished machinist, welder and fabricator, hold an electrical engineering degree with with emphasis on controls engineering and PLC programming and implantation, robotics and power distribution, and i have owned my own motorcycle repair shop for 5 years.. was a lead tech at another one for 2 years.

my main deal is i would LOVE more than anything else to become one of the leading engine builders in my area. i have a turbo bike i am building myself. have done alot of math, and i am no stranger to boost.. but some things the wizards and engine-building elders i know sorta escapes my realm of knowledge.

so, with any luck i will learn much here.. hoping that not too many people will take offense if i butt in and ask questions!
glad to be here and if i can contribute at all, i most certainly will. thanks!
You're in good company here. I know alot about a little and I know a little about alot. One should never fear asking questions, none of us know everything. Luckily some of us know who to call when we need advice, it reciprocates likewise :)
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
whitehendrix

Re: aspiring noob

Post by whitehendrix »

thank you sir. ya i started reading some in-depth stuff last night in the advanced section and started to realize how little i DO know!! haha. and i have built race-winning motorcycle engines, turbo car motors to varying degrees..

never got much into the true dynamics of an engine. harmonics manipulation and port modification and whatnot. should either be alot of fun or alot of pain learning what i can... pain stemming from me ramming my head against a wall.

thanks again!.
"Whitey" AKA Jim
Electrical engineer, PLC programmer, machinist, fabricator, wheelie expert.