Pro

class racing

Post by alfonso »

i have a amc 74 hornet that i currently have a big block chevy in it
i also own a 340 mopar engine
can i use the mopar engine to try to fit into a super stock class
or nolstagia pro stock
if from now on you blame anything on anybody
it might be the alien spores from the meteors...
http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Re: class racing

Post by Alan Roehrich »

It may not be legal for NHRA Super Stock. The only thing you can run for certain is an AMC engine, but you can run most any AMC engine in it in a Super Stock GT class, provided you can make the weight break. Now, you can always call Glendora (NHRA HQ) and ask about Mopar engines in AMC Super Stock GT cars under the "corporate" rule that allows things like a big block Chevy in an Oldsmobile Cutlass, or an early Pontiac engine in a late model Firebird that only came with a Chevy engine. Whether not they allow Mopar engines in older AMC cars (before Chrysler bought AMC) under the "corporate" rule is a gray area, so get ANY reply from NHRA in writing.

Be aware that you need to find out how competitive the engine is in Super Stock, and what cars running the weight break you have to run are doing ET wise. Just because it fits and makes the weight break does not mean it will be competitive, Super Stock GT can be extremely tough, most of those classes have plenty of nasty fast cars. GT/A through GT/G are very competitive classes.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Super Stock GT can be extremely tough, most of those classes have plenty of nasty fast cars.
Because most of these guys have been perfecting the same car/engine combo for many, many years. Coming into their playground will most likely be a tough row to hoe for the first couple of years.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

The deal with GT is that guys find under rated engines that have not been exploited, and they put them in FWD conversions that are for the most part nearly Competition Eliminator level cars that are as close as you can get to a full tube chassis car without actually having one. The late FWD "jelly bean" cars have a killer aero package, and when doing an FWD conversion on them you can make the chassis state of the art, even though it isn't quite a full tube chassis. Combine that with an engine that is under rated, but has been built by someone who knows how to get all there is to have, and you have extremely fast cars. But the cars are well over $80K, before you buy a $60K and up engine, and a $10K and up transimssion and converter.
alfonso
Pro
Pro

Post by alfonso »

for moment i had a fleeting dream ,will keep saving for that booth pro stock motor :wink:
if from now on you blame anything on anybody
it might be the alien spores from the meteors...
http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm