Gasoline/Diesel fuel oops

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

nascarfan7

Gasoline/Diesel fuel oops

Post by nascarfan7 »

What does one do with 50 gallons of low sulphur diesel fuel mixed with approximately 225 gallons of 87 octane pump gas? Don't ask how this happened as my head may explode from having to re-live this fiasco. Other than pumping it out of the storage tank and having the recycle guy, costing me even more money, haul it away any advice?
fastvette
Expert
Expert

Re: Gasoline/Diesel fuel oops

Post by fastvette »

I would burn that in my lawn mower, but would take forever to use it up!
If you now anyone that burns waste vegtable oil in their diesel, I think they sometimes mix gas with it.

Randy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itIITBanJDs
http://www.harshmanauto.com
Wannabe
Pro
Pro

Post by Wannabe »

Sell it to farmers that still have carbs on their work trucks. (Or anyone with a carbed drive around vehicle.) With that percentage it will smoke a little, but it runs o.k.
(Again, don't ask me how I know. Probably a story similar to yours that is not worth re-living.)
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Yes, I know of similiar stories. Just run it in your daily driver without smog equipment. It will smoke but still run. In my situation, I know of a guy who ran 50/50 in an old car. Smoked alot, but still ran.
Joe Facciano
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

If your located where it's cold, find someone with a waste oil furnace and you can probably sell - give
it to them. About 20 years ago I was given 3000 gallons of fuel oil mixed with gas by mistake. I mixed
it with used oil and it heated the shop for several years.

Tom
quickd100
Pro
Pro

Post by quickd100 »

I wouldn't use it in any gasoline engine that works under heavy loads, (Farm Truck). My boss thought he'd be smart and burn some diesel contaminated gasoline in one of his farm trucks. It took a piston and cylinder wall and created work for me. Dave
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/9ff3c690.jpg[/img]
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

I think Mazda was mixing Diesel with racing fuel to get 80 octane for the IMSA GTU efforts. I only say "I think" because I can't find the citation right now.

Sounds to me like it's time to start playing with Wankels. I've heard that they'll run just fine on straight Diesel or kerosene once warmed up, but I never really had the guts to try it.

Depending on how large your storage tank is, you could dilute it further with more gasoline, or maybe give it away a gallon at a time to random passersby. I have a waste oil furnace at the shop but the docs say to burn no more than 25% gasoline. I'd still take it, mind you, I'd just have to dilute it a lot.
nascarfan7

Post by nascarfan7 »

Thanks for the replies.

I ended up donating it to a local farm run by a charity that can use it. I got a reciept for "fair market value" at a little over $600 that I can use for tax purposes. No idea how fair market value was computed but I'll take it!