Mixing & Matching Braided Hose Brands

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Ellis6

Mixing & Matching Braided Hose Brands

Post by Ellis6 »

With the flood of NASCAR takeoff hoses assemblies on fleabay, is it safe to mix brands of hose and fittings. For not a lot of $ you can find hoses with fittings on both ends, but maybe one of the fittings need to be swapped out for the new application. Do you have to use fittings produced by the same supplier of the hose, or can you mix? I'm assuming these are all produced to typical aerospace standards so the fittings and hoses should be interchangeable?

Thanks,

Dirk
MODNROD
Pro
Pro

Re: Mixing & Matching Braided Hose Brands

Post by MODNROD »

Generally (at least with the hydraulic hoses I'm familiar with through Ag/Mining), all the hose fittings with the threads will be to the same pitch/width/standard, etc. Some company's however, seem to like going there own way just to be a pain, stating their fittings to be superior, blah, blah. In reality it's just different. Eg, If you use Ryco fittings on a Parker hose they don't crimp up properly, either single-braid, double-braid, whatever.

I would suggest only using the same brand fittings as hose to prevent mismatch at the critical join,but joining 2 different hose assemblies from different brands together, assuming same thread/hose rating/standards, should'nt be an issue.

Ebay has some good stuff, but sometimes quality needs checking.........
Wannabe
Pro
Pro

Post by Wannabe »

Very seldom does one brand not work with another in the way of hoses and fittings.
Just be educated about the different styles and start buying off ebay and saving. (The used nascar stuff are usually good quality - Some of the new fittings off of ebay have shown up to my place quite suspect of very poor quality.)
Ellis6

Post by Ellis6 »

Thanks for the feedback guys. My primary interest is purchasing used NASCAR hose assemblies that have plenty of hose length and at least one correct fitting on one end. So, I cut the one end off, cut the hose to length, and fit a new fitting. There have been quite a few ICORE and BMRS hose assemblies on ebay lately, and I'm not sure how hard it is to source these same brand fittings, so Aeroquip fitting s would be the first choice to retrofit. Most of these hose assemblies have swedged on fittings, rather than reuseable fittings.

Cheers,

Dirk
rotortuner

Post by rotortuner »

Be aware that the ICORE hose with BMRS crimped/swage fittings cannot be used with aeroquip reusible hose ends. The hose is completely different. Its like half the weight but the inner core is a convoluted tubing. To use those hoses off ebay you either need to buy some of the BMRS reusible hose ends with the crush olives for to crimp them you need a 2-3k$ crimper and die set. Same with the HS-70 XRP crimped hoses. These are complete systems and you cant mix and match the ends from company to company. The hoses have different diameters and designs.

CJG
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

hey rotortuner that is some really good advice on those lines and fittings you saved my butt art