best timing light?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

WESTOF7
best timing light?

Post by WESTOF7 »

Drove over my ancient snap on timing light :roll:

What new timing light would you guys reccomend? I've been told the msd is the best. Want one thats gonna last me.
mach9
Pro
Pro

Re: best timing light?

Post by mach9 »

You might find this article interesting. I tried a friend's dial back Snap On light one time and the mark was jumping all over the place. Went back to my 25 year old Craftsman and it was rock steady.

http://www.dragracingonline.com/technic ... hts-1.html
Mack Johnson
'86 Mustang Footbraker
Pump gas 347
6.435 @ 104
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Post by BirdMan »

I have two lights. One a Kal Equip chrome plated antique of the 1970's and a chrome plated Sears Craftsman of the 1990's and both give the exact timing, spot on. My son had ??? and it was off a few degrees. But only use the same light ALL the time unless you have done a comparison test I am sure you know!

I tried an adjustable Craftsman but it went fubar and I then exchanged for the simple non-adjustable one.
Dale C.
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

Them old "cheap" timming lights are the best in my opinion, I still use my old Craftsman light and have had no issues, I own a "super duper" big brand name adjustable light and I have found differences in total timming , so I use the "cheapy" JMO
cjer

Post by cjer »

I like my Ferret. Had to find it online though.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Maybe some EE can say different, but seems to me if you test several lights the one that shows the most advance must be the most accurate, since it's pretty tough to consistently flash the strobe before the spark occurs, but pretty easy to delay it... :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

MadBill wrote:Maybe some EE can say different, but seems to me if you test several lights the one that shows the most advance must be the most accurate, since it's pretty tough to consistently flash the strobe before the spark occurs, but pretty easy to delay it... :-k
Not an EE but agree. I also have found the old cheapie xenon units to be tough and consistent.
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

With my old Craftsmen and MSD ignition the type of coil made a difference. With a cheap $15 stock coil the light was right on but with a higher output $100 coil the Craftsmen light was way off my MSD light. Now last fall the MSD light broke cause I had the power leads on backwards, haven't gotten a new light yet..did buy a used Mac light, no advance, changed coils, etc, no dice, timing marks way off :?
Doug Schriefer
Expert
Expert

Post by Doug Schriefer »

I prefer the MSD lights out in the field since they seem to be a good bit brighter which helps me see what the heck I'm doing
Doug Schriefer