Crazy old terminology and parts

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

user-3597028

Re: Crazy old terminology and parts

Post by user-3597028 »

brad_m wrote:I'll ad another to the list..... MAX EFFORT. I'm seeing that get thrown around here like it means something.
I think Howard's Cams still uses that term :)
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Rollerized valvetrain is in the list?

:D
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
user-3597028

Post by user-3597028 »

Yeah man, FULL ROLLER MOTOR!!

Remember customers thinking it meant that there were torrington roller bearings on the rods and mains.

I guess my Mercury 2.5 EFI Offshore motor is a "full roller motor"..
dirtdemon59

Post by dirtdemon59 »

I was telling a guy exactly what came in his Mazda engine kit, when I said new rods and mains he took that as new main caps and connecting rods. He was actually upset with me when he picked up his stuff. Finally got that through his skull.

Then a couple of weeks ago an older gentleman was inquiring about rebuilding his 22re Toyota engine. He was adament about not using any foreign made parts, he believes in supporting the USA. I said I agree but its a Toyota!!!
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

dirtdemon59 wrote: Then a couple of weeks ago an older gentleman was inquiring about rebuilding his 22re Toyota engine. He was adament about not using any foreign made parts, he believes in supporting the USA. I said I agree but its a Toyota!!!
#-o
Wow!
That almost sounds like a Monty Python skit.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

That the 327 Chevy has more power than a 350 Chevy.
Hear this all the time, with various explanations. "High winding " is a popular one.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
user-3597028

Post by user-3597028 »

Or how, whatever their personal favorite factory performance engine was,it was PROVEN to be the greatest.

Weather it be a Buick 455 Stg 1, Ford 427 high riser, L-88 427, 426 Race Hemi, 440-6 pack etc...it's amazing that no matter the engine, there is a "Road and Track" test that validates that their car/engine is the BEST. the road tests proved it..
Shopboss
Guru
Guru

Post by Shopboss »

Had a guy call yesterday saying his engine that he just built had a bad spark rattle. I asked what he was timing it at.
His answer was ... I'm not sure, I don't have a timing light so I'm timing it by ear.

I told him to be careful doing it that way ..... Don't get your ear caught between the fan belts and pulleys.
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

Way back in the 60's we used Atlas Bucron tires on the street1 they had the best hook! We also used Casler cheater slicks! They were retreads with two wiggly grooves to make them look like they had tread when you got pulled over by the Cops. Also the Miracle Mile in Billy Joel's song was a loop in Allentown Pa. that all the street racers used.. up Linden from sixth street to 17th street turn left and then down Hamilton Street you would drive slow up Linden till someone pulled alongside you that you wanted to race and you would run from a roll light to light then you would go up Linden turn right on 17'th street to the Ritz BBQ in the Fair Grounds and park side by side and open hoods and talk about what was under the hood what trans rear gears etc.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

I guess the Bruce recaps never made it to far east.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Cedarmachine wrote:Yeah man, FULL ROLLER MOTOR!!

Remember customers thinking it meant that there were torrington roller bearings on the rods and mains.

I guess my Mercury 2.5 EFI Offshore motor is a "full roller motor"..
That and the Crower beast guys...... One guy I never got to race in 1981 had the beast in his car and said he shifted at 8500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got to look one day when he was not around and saw the tach set at................ [-X
GURU is only a name.
Adam
wonlie67

Post by wonlie67 »

another name for the mopar slant 6 .... Slump 6....cause it looks like it slumped over

How about "rowing through the gears"?

"tutone" paint

"3 on the tree"

and i'll never forget the set of "Moondiscs" i had on my Valiant Scamp
PbFlinger

Post by PbFlinger »

Have heard this straight faced from several clowns:

"My uncle/dad/whatever had a Pontiac that was so fast he won the nationals with it totally stock! Nobody could figure out why it was so fast. It was so fast a team from the factory showed up at his house & bought it back for $$$$$ do they could take it back & tear it down & study it!"

Secret advice/warning:

"2 mothballs in the tank & it'll peel out. 4 & it'll do wheelies. A whole box & it'll snap your axles".

"The speedometer went all the way around twice(d)".

"It'll get sideways when the 4 barrel kicks in".

"It did wheelies on the jet fuel till the valves melted".

"It"ll never run right with no back pressure".

"It had so much power it spun the centers out of the Cragars. Had to put truck rims on it".
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

PbFlinger wrote: "It had so much power it spun the centers out of the Cragars. Had to put truck rims on it".
:lol:
I have actually seen this happen to a set of Keystone Classics. It was a '67 Chevy II SS 4 spd. with a very well built 350. It sat lower than most at the time and had terrific weight transfer.
The centers weren't "spun out" but they did shift enough to sheer the valve stems. The shop he bought the wheels at wouldn't warranty them but did sell him a new set for dealer cost. He never had any trouble with the new wheels so the first pair may have had some quality issues.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Wondering if these came from USA:

"I'll give you a spin (at the track)" or "eat my dust".

:mrgreen:
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share