TECH

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

ROMPRON

TECH

Post by ROMPRON »

I RACE IN THE STREET STOCK DIVISION AT MY LOCAL TRACK. I HAVE A FEW QEUSTIONS.

(2) I RUN A 406 WITH STOCK 76CC HEADS. I WANT TO PUT ON CAMEL HUMP HEADS ( IM REALLY LACKING POWER) DO I HAVE TO DRILL STEAM HOLES IN MY GOOD HEADS TO MAKE THEM WORK ON A 400.

(3) ARE THERE ANY EASY WAYS TO GET A GENERAL IDEAL WHERE THE FRONT AND REAR ROLL CENTERS OR ON MY CAR, I JUST WANT TO BE SURE THEY ARE LOWER THAN MY CENTER OF GRAVITY.

GREAT BOOK http://www.racingsecrets.com/ STREET STOCK TIPS
Last edited by ROMPRON on Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeLeone
Author & Show Guest
Author & Show Guest

Answers

Post by MikeLeone »

Good Quesitons!

The answer to the first question depends on a few things, but here are some general ideas:
( this assumes you race on asphalt)

first thing I would do is work with the brake bias front/rear. Street stock cars work opposite of what the books tell you and opposite of how higher level cars act. Try less rear brake.

If you run a locked rear, maybe you have too much stagger.

Maybe the rearend is pointing out

front shocks too soft

Rear shocks too stiff

Sometimes loose going in, in a streetstock can be cured by driving style. Don't lift all the way off the gas going into the corner. Left foot brake and lift 1/2 to 3/4 off the gas. That will keep some of the weight from transferring to the front wheels. This also keep the wheels from hoping.

Keep in mind that you might come off the turn so good now because of that lack of power. More power might lossen you up coming out, that would let you tighten the whole car up, maybe with wedge.

I think raising the arms might work, but more likely your lose the handle in the middle and off.

Steam holes? I'm not 100% sure, but I think you do need them. Ask a motor guy before you break out the drill.

Roll centers are tough to peg on a stock setup, there is software you can buy that might work with the front RC, but a stock 4 link is a different story. When calculating the rear RC they always refer to the point the panhard bar crosses the center.... They don't tell you what to do if you don't have a panhard bar.
Nwguy

Post by Nwguy »

Assuming you havent changed anything on the back of the boman-mobile, the rear roll center is probably 19-22 inches off the ground. RC height will be at the intersection of the upper links.

Next time you're in T Town and have some time to kill, stop by. I can answer most of your question.

Bryan Grant
ROMPRON

THANKS

Post by ROMPRON »

HEY MIKE THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO. IVE GOT MY REAR BRAKE BIAS MAXED OUT. WHAT DO U THINK ABOUT DICONNECTING ONE OF THE REAR BRAKES. I HAVE A SPOOLED REAR END, IM RACING ON ASPHALT, I JUST SQUARED THE CAR BEFORE LAST RACE (BIG IMPROVEMENT, WITHIN 1/8 INCH), I LIKE THE WAY THE REAR STEER IS COMING OUT TOO. I THINK I FOUND THE POWER PROBLEM SO IM NOT CHANGING HEADS, IT WAS ONLY LACKING TOP END POWER AND I THINK MY STAGGER AND SPRINGS ARE PRETTY CLOSE.

BRIAN,,,, GOOD TO HERE FROM YOU. IM IN T-TOWN 5 DAYS A WEEK IN MY SEMI. I STILL HAVE YOUR NUMBER AND ILL STOP BY ONE OF THESE DAYS. WHEN U GONNA RACE AGAIN. IVE REALLY BEEN LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CAR. I HEARD U HAD A WRECK LAST TIME OUT. HOW IS THE CAR? AS FAR AS SETUP I HAVE CHANGED SOME THINGS. SEE MIKES BOOK AND U WILL PRETTY MUCH SEE MY SETUP. IVE MADE ALL THE CANGES IN THE LAST FEW RACES AND I THINK WE WILL SEE THE RESULTS IN THE NEXT 2 RACES COMING UP. LAST RACE WAS THE BEST ITS EVER FELT. 10TH FAST IN THE OUTLAW RACE RUNNING ON 7 CYLINDERS. LATER, RON
BillyShope
Pro
Pro

Post by BillyShope »

The first problem is easily solved IF you're free (according to the rules for your class) to work with the front spring rates. Simply go to a rate at the RF that is higher than that at the LF, while maintaining the same sum for the two. (For instance, 1000 for the RF and 600 for the LF when they were originally both 800. This will load the RF during braking and take away the loose entry. This, of course, assumes the rules allow shimming or screw jacks to control wheel loads.)

For the last question, the first page of my blog

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope

describes a procedure for measuring the front and rear roll center locations.
ROMPRON

RESULTS

Post by ROMPRON »

FAST TIME

2ND DASH

3RD HEAT

2ND MAIN

THANKS FOR THE TIPS,,,, KEEP THEM COMING......

STILL NEED A COUPLE TENTHS
MikeLeone
Author & Show Guest
Author & Show Guest

What Changes?

Post by MikeLeone »

What did you change to make the car better?
ROMPRON

CHANGES

Post by ROMPRON »

MIKE,,,,,, I BOUGHT YOUR BOOK ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF AGO BUT UNTILL THE LAST COUPLE MONTHS I HAVNT HADE TIME TO REALLY APPLY THE INFORMATION.EVERYTHING I DID WAS OUT OF YOUR BOOK EXCEPT THE ANTI DIVE..... THANKS, RON.....