Tire treatments

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Randylee Mcbob

Tire treatments

Post by Randylee Mcbob »

Hey everyone:
Our track has just implemented a unique tire rule I would like some input with.
The track is going to a Mcreary spec tire for our hobby stocks (metric chassis, all stock, 1/4 mile paved) next year, but they have given us the choice of using this tire now($$), or treating the street tires we all have piles of.
The fast guys seem to think the treated street radials will be better, so I am looking for opinions as to what I should try.
I have seen advertizing for "Hot Lap" products. Has anyone tried it? Does it live up to its marketing?
I am looking forward to opinions on this unique situation.

RM
#84Dave
Expert
Expert

Post by #84Dave »

We have used 'Track Claw' for a number of years. But the method of application is important. If you race on a Saturday night, apply the first coat with a narrow paint roller Wednesday night. Apply a second coat Friday night. If you want to get really fancy, put the wheels in plastic bags after the Friday night coat. Put 'em on the car Saturday and go racing! You'll get at least one more race out of a set of tires. Possibly 2 on the left side tires.

Dave
JBV-HEADS
Pro
Pro
Post by JBV-HEADS »

Ditto on the track claw for dirt. Same Wednesday, Friday on the first go round. Every second race, clean real good, cut new edges, coat on Wednesday and put them in garbage bags. I heard some people put the bagged tires in the sun for a day or so, but I have no experience with it that way. On the softeners, they don’t work on dirt very well. Your edges ball up too easy. Especially on the outer grooves. Hope this helps.

Joe
Randylee Mcbob

Post by Randylee Mcbob »

That does help, thanks, guys

RLM