Holley Black Pump

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

MileHighMan
Guru
Guru

Holley Black Pump

Post by MileHighMan »

Hello guys. My question is, will a holley-black fuel pump provide enough fuel for my new 555ci chev? My fuel system is very simple. I have a sump installed in the tank, a 1/2 in fuel line to the regulator, with a cartridge filter, and the pump being installed back by the sump. From each side of the regulator to the carb[1050 dominator] is a 3/8 fuel line that dead heads against the needle, and seat at 7,1/2 psi. I had this same set-up on my 468ci chev, and had no problems at all. The new motor is just a larger version of the last. The cyl heads, and cam in proportion are larger as well. Your thoughts please. Thanks,Dan.
Novaz

Black pump

Post by Novaz »

I run 2 Black Holleys on my Blown and juiced 350sbc and its only just enough I think you might want to look at the big BG pumps or one of the Aeromotive units also magna flow make some good stuff for 1000hp+

I went with two seperate fuel systems for my fuel amd nitrous and am thinking of upgrading my main fuel pump
Good Luck
#84Dave
Expert
Expert

Post by #84Dave »

Dan....... if the engine is running a BSFC of about .5(close to normal), that's .5# of fuel per HP per hour. I think a gallon of most good race fuel weighs about 7#. So a gallon would support 14HP per hour @ WOT. My Holley book says their 'Black' electric pump will flow right at 130 gallons-per-hour @ 7.5 psi. So..... if my math is correct, the black pump should theoretically support right at 1820 HP @ 7.5 psi.

Dave
PWMAX
Pro
Pro

Post by PWMAX »

I don;t know if they will support 1820hp, but, I know they will support a lot more than what most guys would say. If you look at your dyno sheet, say your motor uses 350 lbs of fuel per/hour, and, that pump will supply 120 gph, and, gas weighs roughly 7 lbs per gallon, 120x7=840 lbs of fuel per hour, that the pump will supply. They are rated I think at 150 free flow, and like 120 at 7.5 psi, so, actualy, Daves calculations could be close. But certainly will supply enough fuel for 900 plus hp with plenty of "safety" margin. I know it worked on a good friends, 8 second big block drag car. Motor was an 800hp 496bbc. he was worried about the pump not being enough, I said, why? It works, you have plenty of fuel pressure at the end, so, leave it. Buy another one as a back up, and leave it in the trailer. He didn;t listen, boguht a BG400, which works just fine, but, it didn;t do anything for anything, on that car

Frank
Advanced performance
Novaz

black pump

Post by Novaz »

Do these answers mean that my Black PUMP is going bad I cant get more than 8.0psi from it I am running 6# of boost with 100shot and meth/water injection.
Royz
fasteach

forward bite and g forces

Post by fasteach »

David Reher said some thing that made me think about oil control...and i think it also applies to fuel. race gas weighs about 7lbs/gal, and a decent leaving racecar should make 1-1/2 to 2 "G"s on the hit...decreasing slowly from there. so that 15ft -8 or -10 line thats holding several lbs of fuel now weighs 2x as much as it did on the starting line. the problem as i understand it, isn't the free-flow, but rather the line pressure. wouldn't the pressure need to be higher than the forward "G" to keep fuel moving during launch? i think thats why the higher pressure fuel pumps have found favor with the bigger and more powerful racecars today... but im a school teacher, not a pro racer, so i'm probably wrong.
Arthur

Holley Black pumps

Post by Arthur »

Milehighman,

Our experience using two Holley Blacks on a 475 B/B , with 1.36' 60'
tank five feet behind engine, #10 line

On one pump 11.00/122mph
Both pumps 10.00/132mph

We now use a Racepumps mechanical unit that is compadible with methanol and can support mid nines with a rear mounted tank,with a front mounted tank 2800HP /1400 HP is doable.
MileHighMan
Guru
Guru

Holley Black Pump

Post by MileHighMan »

I may be wrong, but I could swear I read a post on reher morrisons tech board, that a pro-stock motor only uses about a quart of fuel in a six second run. I have filled two twenty oz bottles in a very short time. That is free flowing after the regulator. My thought is during a run at "wot" as long as the fuel pressure gauge does'nt go below 7,1/2 psi, I should be ok. If I understand you guys right, then I have to overcome inertia of getting the fuel to flow foward under "wot". Also, I can raise the fuel pressure to nine psi. Think that will help? I don't have a problem spending the money for a better pump, but don't want to just piss it away. I'm going to the dyno as soon as I finish my rear-end upgrade, and will be watching my fuel pressure gauge close. I thank you for your response. Dan.
awesomebill

Re: Holley Black Pump

Post by awesomebill »

MileHighMan wrote:Hello guys. My question is, will a holley-black fuel pump provide enough fuel for my new 555ci chev? My fuel system is very simple. I have a sump installed in the tank, a 1/2 in fuel line to the regulator, with a cartridge filter, and the pump being installed back by the sump. From each side of the regulator to the carb[1050 dominator] is a 3/8 fuel line that dead heads against the needle, and seat at 7,1/2 psi. I had this same set-up on my 468ci chev, and had no problems at all. The new motor is just a larger version of the last. The cyl heads, and cam in proportion are larger as well. Your thoughts please. Thanks,Dan.
We just put a good 565 in my employees truck that made 900 hp. He uses 1 black pump with the exact same set up you have. He runs a blue pump on the plate system with a 3/8 line from front to back. Not 1 problem even with the NOS in place. 8.50's with the NOS on is not a problem. The fuel pressure on the engine never got close to the 6 lb light we have hooked up. As for the blue pump on the NOS, we have a 5 lb light. Neither come on. So Off the spray, with the radial and walking it off, the e.t. was 9.41 @ 146. I would run the black pump and not be concerned. It will support the hp.
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

Around here most of the serious N2o users are using only one fuel system for both N2o and for fuel unless they are on alcohol. Those use two.

One big Aeromotive or Magnaflow pump will supply all the fuel needed for both N2o and fuel in a 2,500 plus hp engine. At least it will when using a front mounted fuel cel.

Ed
MileHighMan
Guru
Guru

Holley Black Pump

Post by MileHighMan »

At this time I think that my current motor combo is going to suit my need for speed. But if I run N20 in the future, I will run a dedicated fuel system.
awesomebill

Re: Holley Black Pump

Post by awesomebill »

MileHighMan wrote:At this time I think that my current motor combo is going to suit my need for speed. But if I run N20 in the future, I will run a dedicated fuel system.
If you do run a dedicated fuel system, run a bypass so the pressure does not spike when the fuel is dead headed. This will cause severe piston damage on the initial hit. I have also found 1 system to supply all the fuel needed for 3 systems and a very large 750" engine.
dbusch
Expert
Expert
Post by dbusch »

i ran the black pump to 10.00s at 133mph in a 3220lb Mustang. This was a pretty efficient 14.5 compression 352", using a C4 auto tranny. I turned it about 8400. The tailpipes were totally white, no soot anywhere. So, i will tell you it was on the ragged edge for fuel supply.

I would recommend the black pump for 550hp engines or less and not take the chance of leaning the engine out...
MileHighMan
Guru
Guru

Black pump

Post by MileHighMan »

My combo at sea level should make about 840hp,and 700+feet lbs of torque. Here at 6 to7000 feet, I'm losing about 20%. That brings this big motor down to about 650 useable horsepower. I think the torque will still be pretty good. I am looking at you guys response, to get an idea about what I think will work at my true power level. Being honest, I think my new deal is gonna run low 10s at about 130+ mph. Think about it. the 468 went 10.90s+@124. The new #s are very doable. Your thoughts? Dan.
Speedy Goomba

Post by Speedy Goomba »

The current pro stock cars, i've seen Magnafuel EFI pumps on them.

From what i know they're experimenting with lower fuel pressures at the bowl, so as to disturb the flow inside the bowl less.

that could be a reason why they need so much pressure to the regulator.

On a completely different note, at work we built a car for pinks that went 8.38 with two Mallory 140's, it was powered by a BB nitrous motor.
117.42MPH
1.46 60 foot(footbrake)
7.03 @ 94.65
3215 lb. '67 Camaro

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/SpeedyGoomba/