Question concerning NHRA hose regulations

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

mikeandnatasha

Question concerning NHRA hose regulations

Post by mikeandnatasha »

I was given a big pile of new high pressure hydraulic hose. Its the steel braided internal hose with a rubber covering thats the same dimensions as -8AN hose but has a burst strenth of 3000 PSI. Really good hose. I was planning on using some of it as fuel line for a dedicated nitrous line but the NHRA regs say no rubber hose. This stuff is steel braided internally and is way stronger than the typical -8AN stuff with steel braided covering. Pretty much stainless braided hose with a rubber covering . I'm just wondering how literal they are with the rules and if there would be a problem. This stuff is no more rubber hose than any AN stailness covered hose is. Most tech inspections Ive had were pretty liberal ( or nonexistent ) and I'm sure no ne would say anything but I'm wondering if anyone here knows the regs on this stuff.
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

What you have is not rubber hose. Your hose is high pressure hydraulic hose and I can see no reason period why yopu should not be allowed to use it. Even the steel braided hose is a rubber or neoprene hose with the steel braids reinforcing it.

If you feel that you will get a yo yo as a tech inspector, just carry a short section of it with you to show him the insides of it.

There are quite a number of cars running the high pressure reinforced hose that is black on the outside. It looks kinda cool too.

I am not affliated with NHRA or IHREA tech so U can only give you opinions.

If someone dumped a bunch of that on me, I would be a happy camper and would definetely be using it.

The only reason they are wanting steel braid reinfoced hose is for your protection if a part were to try to cut it. What you have is probably even stronger.

Ed
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

NHRA 2006 rulebook, Section 16, General Regulations, 1:5 Fuel Systems, Lines, page 196. Contact your division tech for clarification.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

It should be fine but that doesn't mean you won't get questions. The idea of carrying a chunk of hose with you is a good one.

I talked to a guy the other day that said he was forced by a NHRA tech guy to redo all of his plumbing since he had used Aeroquip pushlok hose. The pushlok hose is legal according to the rulebook but evidently this tech guy didn't like it.

I think if it was me I'd be appealing the decision rather than redoing the hose but I suppose if you're in a rinky dink area with only one tech guy and he is a jackass then you're stuck. (of course, a phone call to the head office should clear the road block but maybe it doesn't work that way?)
Andy F.
AR Engineering
mikeandnatasha

Post by mikeandnatasha »

andyf wrote:It should be fine but that doesn't mean you won't get questions. The idea of carrying a chunk of hose with you is a good one.

I talked to a guy the other day that said he was forced by a NHRA tech guy to redo all of his plumbing since he had used Aeroquip pushlok hose. The pushlok hose is legal according to the rulebook but evidently this tech guy didn't like it.

I think if it was me I'd be appealing the decision rather than redoing the hose but I suppose if you're in a rinky dink area with only one tech guy and he is a jackass then you're stuck. (of course, a phone call to the head office should clear the road block but maybe it doesn't work that way?)

Its pretty rinky dink...In fact its your area :-) . I usually run at PIR but I'll occasionally make it down to Woodburn or up to Bremerton.
Speedy Goomba

Post by Speedy Goomba »

I've been called a dragstrip lawyer because of situations like that. I go over the rule book closely when building a car, so i usually have the answers for the tech guys....and some of them dont like that.
117.42MPH
1.46 60 foot(footbrake)
7.03 @ 94.65
3215 lb. '67 Camaro

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/SpeedyGoomba/