Testing racecar battery

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

oldhead
Expert
Expert

Testing racecar battery

Post by oldhead »

I am in phila. we race from march to november. I drive mine every week or so during the winter. How do you test your battery for the coming season :) :) :) :) Oldhead
Quicker then most
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: Testing racecar battery

Post by Tuner »

Touch it to your tongue, lick it.
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

Do you do that alot
Quicker then most
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

oldhead wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:10 pm I am in phila. we race from march to november. I drive mine every week or so during the winter. How do you test your battery for the coming season :) :) :) :) Oldhead
Do a full recharge, if its holds more than 12.8V after an hour you good to go. (assuming its a 12V batt)
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

You can take to Oreillys and have them do 1 hour load test.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

To properly test a battery you really need a carbon pile type of load tester where you can crank up say a 400 amp load and watch the voltage. A good healthy battery will pull down but when the load is removed return to near its full voltage over and over again. A weak battery will fall off to less than 9.5 volts very quickly and not recover. Cheap electronic battery testers will not do this.
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

DaveMcLain wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:52 pm To properly test a battery you really need a carbon pile type of load tester where you can crank up say a 400 amp load and watch the voltage. A good healthy battery will pull down but when the load is removed return to near its full voltage over and over again. A weak battery will fall off to less than 9.5 volts very quickly and not recover. Cheap electronic battery testers will not do this.
Now this sounds like a real load check,How low do you take the volts on the pull down?????Oldhead
Quicker then most
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead%E2%80%93acid_battery

Discharge at the 10 hour rate and calculate capacity.
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

This info. is to old its from 1859, My battery is newer :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Oldhead..PS:Are you that old?
Quicker then most
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

The Midtronics style of tester is used by most shops these days. Many auto parts stores will test your battery with one for free. I’ve used one for over ten years now.
http://www.midtronics.com/transportation
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

O'Rielly's uses the AutoMeter battery tester and charger now.

Absolutely the very best battery tester is an old Sun VAT-28 carbon pile load tester.
plg054

Post by plg054 »

With all the batts on our farm I bought a Solar BA-5 tester a few years back that will check volts CCAs and such. Best piece of test equip I ever bought. Plug.
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

Post by Fireonthemountain »

Or for 50 dollars or less you could try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFCCF6extfQ
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

OTC 3180. is an old school tester that monitors voltage while asking it to discharge at about 100 Amp rate into a big old resistor. Makes some heat ( 1200 watts) so the test should only be run for 10-15 seconds. The old Carbon pile is likely better, but it it will bring a marginal battery, or under charged battery to it's knees.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1170_.jpg

They have got pretty cheap recently.

Works on 6 and volts, and has a decent analog volt meter built in to test alternator charging, too
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

DaveMcLain wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:52 pm To properly test a battery you really need a carbon pile type of load tester where you can crank up say a 400 amp load and watch the voltage. A good healthy battery will pull down but when the load is removed return to near its full voltage over and over again. A weak battery will fall off to less than 9.5 volts very quickly and not recover. Cheap electronic battery testers will not do this.
Good test, but not always accurate. Had an older yellow top battery in my truck. Started running into a slower cranking issue. Took it to the store under warranty. Never dropped below 10.8 volts on load test but would not charge above 11.2 regardless. Yes, it still started the truck but cranking speed was down....I can't tell you why it did that, only that it did.....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer