Acid Dipping

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

brett w

Acid Dipping

Post by brett w »

I need to remove some weight from some sheet metal. What type of acid should I use. Obviously I need to be able to use this in a kiddy pool or some sort of tub. I don't figure the paint stripping type places use an acid that is strong enough. I have used Muriatic acid on some experimental pieces but it takes a long time for very minimal material removal. If I am doing this in the back yard I need to also be able to dispose of this sort of legally.
comp
Post by comp »

as far as i know, i does take time.If you try something stronger you loose control
ion442

Post by ion442 »

I would definitely suggest this as NOT being the way to remove weight from metal.

Its dangerous, its nasty, it can screw you up for life if something goes wrong.

Using small amounts ie filling a port or an intake manifold runner, sure, that can be dealt with, but dumping it in a big open tub of acid is a good way to start a very bad day.

Imagine the little dumb kid wandering off into your yard and coming across it, or the dog getting a good whiff of it and suffocating to death in your yard. Good times explaining that sort of thing, esp. if its your kid or your dog.
backpurge

Post by backpurge »

Kind of a question on the same topic. Were would I be able to find a directory of companies that will acid dip a whole chassis?

Thanks in advance,
David
[i][b]Making Fast Cars Faster[/b][/i]
[url=http://www.didraceengineering.com/][b]D.I.D. Race Engineering[/b][/url]
Jethro Gumpfrey

Re: Acid Dipping

Post by Jethro Gumpfrey »

brett w wrote:I need to remove some weight from some sheet metal. What type of acid should I use. Obviously I need to be able to use this in a kiddy pool or some sort of tub. I don't figure the paint stripping type places use an acid that is strong enough. I have used Muriatic acid on some experimental pieces but it takes a long time for very minimal material removal. If I am doing this in the back yard I need to also be able to dispose of this sort of legally.

:shock: Let me save you a whole heepa truble boy, take yer parts to a profeshunal. they use a much stroger hydro cloride than you can buy and thers no mess, as well they have a variety of diffrent sollushuns that they use before and after to deal with the rest of the crap on yer parts like paint grees, seem seeler, bondo and all the crap in a chassy, they also use a reel nice conditioner after so all yer left with is a cleen part or car, and it smells reel nise too! if you want to know who duz it in yer area contact a local manufacture that does production line painting they use thees fellas on a regular basis for cleening the fictures and jigs the parts go down the line on.

like my one legged uncle bumpy always says!
Play safe!