Something that disguises my licence plate?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

MileHighMan
Guru
Guru

Something that disguises my licence plate?

Post by MileHighMan »

Hello guys. My city recently installed cameras to photograph any, or all infractions to the law at specified intersections. [speeding, and running a red light] I'm looking for something that disguises my licence plate. OK guys. I don't want to get bashed, cause I don't run red lights. I do think it's just a cash-cow for the city I live in. Sometimes I do speed, not much, just a mile per hour, or two. OK sometimes a little more. Well to the short of it. Like a radar detector that lets us know when the law is up ahead, I want something for the cameras. Anyone know? Thank You. Dan.
JuicedBu
Post by JuicedBu »

Buy a diesel truck and turn the wick up. Makes the plate all black. :lol:

Or, you can try this.

http://www.phantomplate.com/photoblocker.html
Noob
Pro
Pro

Post by Noob »

I think you'll find the photoblocker is "not as effective" as you want it to be. If you combined both plate covers then you might have an advantage
Mech Engineer
north florida engine/suspension tuner
Fabrication
iadr
Expert
Expert

Post by iadr »

I taped two trailer hitch wiring connectors together to make a wide flat lump that covered the first two digits from many angles.

Got pulled over twice - the second time I had to give it up- I cut it off at the side of the road "under supervision" to save a major ticket. Kind of high stakes- I'd bluffed that it was an accident they were as they were, but the wires didn't go anywhere except behind the plate- I was worried the remaining bits of wire would fall down and betry my real intent while I was being watched.

Now I am a bit older (this was 7-8 years ago), I'd advise- just drive carefully for the first 6-10 months- the police are on the lookout for those trying to fool the system during the first media-noted months of the program. After the initial crunch, you can go back and try some stuff, and reasonably face them down by playing dumb if you get called out on it. Frankly, you can't get away with it when it's fresh on their minds that people are going to do this

On the other hand, the local government usually tightens the law about plate visibility after a few months of games, so monitor it so as to gauge whether it's worth the risk.
brett w

Post by brett w »

Paint the plate with non reflective paint and change the angle of the mounting. You should try hard to cut down on the reflection that the camera looks for.
BLACK BART
Pro
Pro

Post by BLACK BART »

Hello MileHighMan, depending on how nice you like to keep your vehicle you drive, you could just take the plate off and pummel the crap out of it until it's not readable or not ever wash it. The worst thing they can make you do is surrender your plates for new ones or wash them off after giving you a fix it ticket. :lol: That's better than a red light ticket or speeding ticket. I have seen many a farm vehicle around here where the rear plate was unreadable due to trailer tongues hiting it or just plain filthy enough to not be readable.

As if taxes were not bad enough, we now have to put up with this new crap created to generate revenue. :evil: I'm just glad we don't have to put up with the cameras here yet.

Good luck, CJ.
Noob
Pro
Pro

Post by Noob »

take a picture of your plate... then flip to "negative" in your computer.. 90% of unreadable plates instantly become readable.. you'll need more than a hammer and some non reflective spray paint. TechTV did a segment on it and only adding the two reflector and diffuser plates together did any real help. THe spray paint did nothing.
Mech Engineer
north florida engine/suspension tuner
Fabrication
MileHighMan
Guru
Guru

Disguise

Post by MileHighMan »

Thanks for your input so far guys. I have a friend that says he routinely got tickets for speeding through intersections, and even one in pheonix for speeding on the freeway. He now uses the photo-blocker plate cover that has what looks like a reflector right through the middle. No tickets so far. Anyone got any info on this, or is he just been lucky. Good luck. Dan.
Greenlight
Pro
Pro
Post by Greenlight »

Mythbusters (on Discovery Channel) did a feature on the license plate vs. camera (episode 73).

The results were that they could not fool the camera. They tried about 10 different things (3 or 4 things purchased on the net, spray paint, reflectors, going 150 mph, etc.).
Project Greenlight
Eric David Bru

Post by Eric David Bru »

I wonder if one of the laptop screens converted into a license plate cover would work.

You have seen the ads for the screens that block out all side/looking down views of your laptop, right?

Should work on a license plate.

Thoughts?
Engguy
Guru
Guru
Post by Engguy »

Just wear a mask. Then they don't know who was driving.
GIT-R-DONE
Post by GIT-R-DONE »

I live near toronto ontario(canada) well we have this lovely highway 407 that bills you large for using it. (going to school at the time needed to save money)My solution to this problem was to install an older style license plate holder(off af an old car that has a flip down mechanism built in so that you could fill your gas tank up). I mounted this to back of my truck under the tailgate where the plate would normally mount. I then attached a thin wire to the back of the plate that I carefully routed into the cab so that it would pivot the fold down plate holder without binding. I then routed this wire to a place in cab near my shifter with a handle attached to it. And there ya go a flip down plate for when you need it.
TheEngineWorks.com

Post by TheEngineWorks.com »

We are starting to have cameras pop up all over here.. Thank you Mr. President for the Patriot act... :roll: A lot of the bull in it was pushed through to take our privacy's away. There are a lot of things in it that got pushed through under the premise of making us safe. Kerry was gonna repeal it and have it rewritten for that reason.. Soon you won't be able to step anywhere without someone watching you. I don't feel threatened by it, but somehow it just feels wrong.. If I want to sit in a park and pick my nose, I don't want some jerkoff watching it on a CCTV. :roll:
putztastics
Expert
Expert

Post by putztastics »

Kerry, heh, riiiiight, was that before, or after, he flipped, or flopped?

In the UK there are CCTV cameras with sound so offenders can be chewed out right during the act.
Jesse Lackman
http://www.revsearch.com
trikesrule

Post by trikesrule »

I've used hair spray to good effect for the cameras. Make sure to spray around the plate as well. For the laser guns (Dopler) get two long stretchy springs and cross them over in front of the radiator and hook them onto something to form an X. The beam hits the springs and goes back as some incredible speed like 783mph or what ever. The lighter the guage the higher the unreal speed. I'm the tech guy for gravity racing here down under and we had some guys pop out of nowhere and record speeds that were a few kmh quicker than everyone else yet during the side by side racing their machine wasn't all that quick. In post racing inspection I found two springs in a V shape in the front. Subsequently I made a few calls to some truckers and they told me what was going on. A heavier guage spring yields a lower speed. These guys had done a lot of testing and worked out just what to use so they could collect the records and the cash during speed trials. I nailed them and let everyone know where they had raced at in Auz and many of their speeds were disallowed. Cheatings ok as long as u don't get caught.........trikes