Master Cylinder affect on braking

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

MDH06

Master Cylinder affect on braking

Post by MDH06 »

Would braking performance differ between a single piston dual outlet master cylinder and a tandem master cylinder?
Masher Manufacturing
Expert
Expert
Post by Masher Manufacturing »

If the bore sizes are the same, there will be no difference in braking. The tandem master was designed to prevent a broken line from completly disabling the braking system.

Many road race / oval track cars use 2 single master cylinders and a adjustable balance bar so the driver can adjust front to rear brake bias ( fronts stronger than the rear and VsV ) In this situation if both bores are the same and the balance bar set at 50% braking will be the same as a single or tandem master.

Race cars use this adjustable system because we tend to build cars from many off the shelf parts and changine road conditions need differing levels of bias.
MDH06

Post by MDH06 »

Yeah I had a dual master setup on it but local tracks won't all it for my class... Since master with no proportioning valves.... So i need a new dual outlet master... I guess i'll go with the tandem just to be on the safe side :)
Masher Manufacturing
Expert
Expert
Post by Masher Manufacturing »

When going from a double cylinder with a balance bar to a single ( dual or single outlet ) you must measure the actual brake line pressure on the front and rear at the same time. This will give you a idea on front to rear brake bias.

If the pressures are the same f to r then a non balance bar master can be installed without any other changes.

If the pressures are different, you must also install a proportioning valve on the side that needs to be lower. Or change wheel cylinder or caliper bore sizes. In that case the forces must be calculated using piston side of the wheel cylinder or caliper.