Moderator: Team

Greezer
Pro
Pro
Inexpensive “Nanoglue” Can Bond Nearly Anything Together

Post by Greezer »

Yes, you read it right - Nanoglue.

It's got nothing to do with J-B Weld.

As soon as I read the article (link) my thoughts went automotive. This technology could be applied to so many things. I figured it'd be worth the read (go ahead - conjure up some of your own applications/uses/research), if you care for this type stuff.
A new method allows a self-assembled molecular nanolayer to become a powerful nanoglue by "hooking" together any two surfaces that normally don't stick well.

When sandwiched between a thin copper film and silica underlayer and exposed to heat, the structure's adhesion strength increases dramatically. The method also allows the nanolayer to withstand temperatures of at least 700 degrees Celsius.

The unprecedented discovery should lead to commercial applications in nano- and microelectronics. Other envisioned uses include coatings for turbines and jet engines, and adhesives for high-heat environments

Photo Credit: Rensselaer/G. Ramanath
http://news.rpi.edu/update.do

Greezer
DavidHarsay
Pro
Pro

Post by DavidHarsay »

Inexpensive?
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

My guess is it will turn out to be like current technology for coating engine parts for heat resistance and wear. To get the maximum benefits, it will have to be done under almost laboratory conditions. The difference between the coating you can spray on at home and bake in your wife's oven, versus what is done for the space shuttle or NASCAR teams.

thnx, jv.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

I saw this on accident and had to read it. just today a friend showed me a new stop leak with, get this... nanotechnology! :)

it was a sodium silicate based mix and probably had some connection to this product.
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Post by machine shop tom »

F1Fever wrote:I saw this on accident and had to read it. just today a friend showed me a new stop leak with, get this... nanotechnology! :)

it was a sodium silicate based mix and probably had some connection to this product.
Remember the Prestone ad for their product with sodium silicate additive? It showed a leak stopping all by itself.

Don't remeber the ad?

There's a good reason why.

tom :shock:
Pray for a secular future.

We used to speak to tell things , now they tell things to speak.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum