Fuel Line Question and NHRA rule

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

lmccoll2
Fuel Line Question and NHRA rule

Post by lmccoll2 »

The NHRA rules say to run your gas line through a peice of steel pipe near the location of the flywheel/flexplate.

Is this like a piece of steel plumbing pipe? Do you just mount it to the frame? Should it be welded to the frame or attached by some other means? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Cammer
Pro
Pro
Post by Cammer »

Use steel braided fuel lines and you will not need to enclose them.

Section 16, 1.5, Fuel Systems, page 202, 2007 NHRA rulebook states that fuel lines (not steel braided lines), in the flywheel/bellhousing area must be enclosed in a 16 inch length of steel tubing with a minimum 1/8 inch thickness, securely mounted. This is not verbatim so check the rulebook for exact specifications.

Contact your NHRA division for rules clarification.

A side note: Standard plumbing pipe is made of iron.

A Lion In Winter
slowmobile

Post by slowmobile »

The tech guy at my local track made a big stink about that too. I have -10 braided to the regulator and 1/2" rubber as a return. If I switch to -8 return will they back off?

Thanks.
Masher Manufacturing
Expert
Expert
Post by Masher Manufacturing »

A clutch explosion or a converter bolt escaping can strike a fuel line and cut it.

$ 6 at the home center for some 3/4 or 1" pipe, a couple of clamps or tabs welded to the pipe for mounting and the problem goes away.

I sometimes wonder why people will spend so much time and money researching / building motors and suspension then everything comes to a grinding halt over something so simple and takes no time to implement.
slowmobile

Post by slowmobile »

On my car I don't think I could get a pipe in the proper location because of my headers.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

slowmobile wrote:On my car I don't think I could get a pipe in the proper location because of my headers.
You might be surprised!
Be safe!!!

Run the lines outside the frame rail and there wont be a problem.