cutting aeroquip stainless braided hose

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Jerry Poole
cutting aeroquip stainless braided hose

Post by Jerry Poole »

I would appreciate any information on the best way to cut stainless steel braided hose. I have read about using a 32 or finer blade hacksaw, wrapping the hose with the clear "strapping" or packing tape or silicone tape and then using a cut-off wheel. (have the very good 3M type "green" cut off wheels.) Or perhaps using the hose cutter from Summit of other speed shop that resembles a bolt cutter. Appreciate any experience or insight on this. Thanks Jerry
Cammer
Pro
Pro
Post by Cammer »

Do a search as we have covered this and a trick tool to help you!

A Lion In Winter
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I use a simple 3" thin cutoff wheel in a diegrinder---works excellent---just have to make sure you clean the debris.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

It might not be the correct way but! I use a Makita 14" cut off machine with the same wheel I use to cut chrome molly tubing ( or any other metal) and it works great when you tape the cut to prevent the braid from unraveling. Clean the inside and you have a nice cut. :)
BLACK BART
Pro
Pro

Post by BLACK BART »

Hi Jerry, this is what I do.

1) I wrap duct tape around the hose as tightly as I can about two times.
2) Then I use a hand held cut off tool or die grinder with a thin 3" wheel to cut the hose in the middle of the tape.
3) Leaving the tape on the hose, I blow the debris off the end and out of the inside with compressed air.
4) Then I peel the tape off VERY CAREFULLY so as to not fray the steel braid out.
5) Slide your tube nut over the end of the hose and assemble the fitting.

If you fray the ends of the steel braid, you will have a very hard time with the last step, so be careful here. Some people put one round of tape on and leave it on to assemble the fitting, but I have always found this to not work very well for me. Good luck, CJ
Cammer
Pro
Pro
Post by Cammer »

A Lion In Winter
Jerry Poole
cutting stainless steel braided hose

Post by Jerry Poole »

Thanks for all the great information. Has anyone tried the "Bolt cutter" type tool to cut this type hose? Will it distort or pinch the hose? Have the tool to insert the hose end.
mrtbolt64

Re: cutting stainless steel braided hose

Post by mrtbolt64 »

Jerry Poole wrote:Thanks for all the great information. Has anyone tried the "Bolt cutter" type tool to cut this type hose? Will it distort or pinch the hose? Have the tool to insert the hose end.

Dont do the bolt cutter, it pinches the hose. As others have said, tape it, then use cut off wheel or hack saw. Be sure to clean the hose before installing.
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

Cutoff wheel with electrical tape is what I use.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
TopSportsman916

Post by TopSportsman916 »

I have always wondered if the bolt cutters really worked. I wrap the hose with tape then cut it with a chop saw. I always seem to have problems with the smaller hose( -4 & -6 ) fraying pretty bad. I have everysize from -4 to -16 on the car & didn't have any problems putting the larger hoses together. The -4 rad. overflow line I called everything but a child of God.
Chris
nos-stang
Post by nos-stang »

I use two zip ties,one on each side of the cut,about 3/16" apart so there is room for my 3" cut off wheel between them,make sure the zip ties are as tight as you can get them,after the cut you can cut the zip ties off and the ends will not be frayed,if there is a stray wire sticking out,just touch up the end of the hose with the cut off wheel before taking the zip tie off.Hope this helps somebody keep from having bloody fingers...
stealth
Guru
Guru
Post by stealth »

http://www.irvansmith.com/scart/tools-e ... -3_26.html

No dirt, no fray, no problem....

these style cutters are the BEST thing ever!!!

BUY ONE.. you won't be sorry!
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

I have one of those next to my apple tree! :lol: :lol: :shock:
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Noob
Pro
Pro

Post by Noob »

stealth wrote:http://www.irvansmith.com/scart/tools-e ... -3_26.html

No dirt, no fray, no problem....

these style cutters are the BEST thing ever!!!

BUY ONE.. you won't be sorry!
you're really going to have a hard time telling me those arn't my moms old garden loppers.
Mech Engineer
north florida engine/suspension tuner
Fabrication