Any tips on assembling socketless hose?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

rskrause
Expert
Expert

Any tips on assembling socketless hose?

Post by rskrause »

I was doing a job I hate late night - pushing barb end fittings into socketless Aeroquip hose. I find it nearly impossible. Anyone have tips on how to do this? Is there any sort of a tool that can be used?

Richard
BLACK BART
Pro
Pro

Post by BLACK BART »

Hi Richard, I hated working with that hose too when I helped a friend assemble some lines for his car. I will never buy that type of hose now that I know how hard it is to assemble. :evil:

On the bright side, I do remember seeing a tool for the socketless type hose on the Aeroquip, Goodridge, or XRP site. I was looking at stuff for a project the other day and noticed the tool, I just can't remember exactly which one of those sites it was on. Just look at those three and I'm sure you will easily find it. CJ
rskrause
Expert
Expert

Post by rskrause »

BLACK BART wrote:Hi Richard, I hated working with that hose too when I helped a friend assemble some lines for his car. I will never buy that type of hose now that I know how hard it is to assemble. :evil:

On the bright side, I do remember seeing a tool for the socketless type hose on the Aeroquip, Goodridge, or XRP site. I was looking at stuff for a project the other day and noticed the tool, I just can't remember exactly which one of those sites it was on. Just look at those three and I'm sure you will easily find it. CJ
Thanks, I will take a look. What type of hose do you use instead?

Richard
rskrause
Expert
Expert

Post by rskrause »

Found it, thanks.

Richard
ST7317

Post by ST7317 »

Quote " I will never buy that type of hose now that I know how hard it is to assemble"

Entertained the idea of socketless hose, thanks for the heads-up.
bevans

assemble socketless hose - easy!

Post by bevans »

Well, since I use a lot of socketless hose ends and hose, and I find it totally painless and easy to assemble, I thought about how I do it. I start with a solid bench vise with aluminium jaws. If I am assembling a straight hose end, I install a male fitting into the hose end so that the barbed assembly is held firmly - the barbed extension just wobbles around until it's fitted to a male fitting. I hold the male fitting in the vise so that the barbed end is easy to get at. I lubricate the inside of the hose (I far prefer Aeroquip hose to Earls hose, it seems far more robust). I use oil, WD40, soap and water as the lube depending on what;s nearby on the bench. I install the hose and try as much as possible to get it on in one shot - but once you get it close you can push it on all the way.

The only difference for bend fittings is you have may have to clamp the actual hose end in the vise if the bend is enough that you can't clamp a fitting in the vise and assemble the hose end onto it. The lube is probably the most important step, these are indeed hard to assemble dry. No, the lube doesn't make them fall apart or fail in any way.

Brian
Brady
Post by Brady »

^ that's how I do it too ^ and I heat the hose up so it's extremely pliable.

My favorite is the Earls 350 braided hose, easy to cut and assemble, and it doesn't poke holes in all your fingers while doing it..
ORSCA EZ/4
jeffmckc
Pro
Pro

Post by jeffmckc »

stick the end of it in a pan of really hot water ( I use one of those quick water boilers) it will slide on and cools down it shrinks back dont twist as you go on with it and once you start dont stop, I put a fitting in the vise then hose end to that to keep it stable
rskrause
Expert
Expert

Post by rskrause »

Thanks for the tips. When I have tried heating it up, it's kind of a double edged sword. It makes the hose limp and it tends to buckle when trying to push it onto the fitting. Maybe I am heating up to much?

Richard
BLACK BART
Pro
Pro

Post by BLACK BART »

Richard, I like to use the Aeroquip braided stainless hose and their fittings. They are easy to assemble and are very good quality. The cost is a bit more than the socketless stuff, but the ease of assembly is well worth the extra cost to me.

I have used the XRP fittings and hose when in a pinch. I like the XRP hose well enough, but the cutter type fittings are not so great when you go to reuse them. The cutter blade will usually have rubber stuck behind it or be bent over on the edge. You can avoid these two issues with nipple type fittings such as the Aeroquip fittings.

Hope this helps you, CJ
rskrause
Expert
Expert

Post by rskrause »

BLACK BART wrote:Richard, I like to use the Aeroquip braided stainless hose and their fittings. They are easy to assemble and are very good quality. The cost is a bit more than the socketless stuff, but the ease of assembly is well worth the extra cost to me.

I have used the XRP fittings and hose when in a pinch. I like the XRP hose well enough, but the cutter type fittings are not so great when you go to reuse them. The cutter blade will usually have rubber stuck behind it or be bent over on the edge. You can avoid these two issues with nipple type fittings such as the Aeroquip fittings.

Hope this helps you, CJ
Thank you, yes it is helpful information.

Richard