what would you do with 300# of liquid mercury

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

bill jones
Guru
Guru

what would you do with 300# of liquid mercury

Post by bill jones »

-A friend has acquired several large pieces of tubing that are filled with liquid mercury and have been used for racecar ballast.
-We know that it is hazardous material and probably controlled by the EPA, but is there someplace this could be sold?
-I looked up the cost of liquid mercury and it's something like $3400 a gallon.
hotrod
Pro
Pro

Mercury

Post by hotrod »

According to my Chemical Dictionary a large portion of used mercury is reclaimed by re-distillation. Its uses include amalgams, as a catalyst, electrical components, explosive compounds, cathodes for production of Chlorine, and caustic soda, scientific instruments, Mercury vapor lamps, extractive metallurgy, mirror coatings, arc lamps etc.

I'd probabably start by calling around to scrap metal brokers that deal with exotic metals, or contacting major companies that use the stuff to find out who re-claims used mercury.

The other possibility would be to touch base with a major engineering college with a metallurgy department, to see if they know any contacts that would help. It used to be used in gold extraction, and dental amalgams so there may still be some companies serving those industries too.

A look at Thomas Register for mercury manufactures/refiners might find you a contact as well.

Best I can think of at the moment.

I can't believe someone used a liquid metal for a race car ballast, but if you can find the right outlet I would guess you cold get some money for it.

Larry
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I did some looking on the internet and found a place that showed the cost is $3400 a gallon so that sort of got my attention.
-My plans are to see if there's any realistic possibility to make any money during the disposal of it.
hotrod
Pro
Pro

mercury recovery

Post by hotrod »

Found this fact sheet, looks like mercury recycling has pretty well glutted the market so companies that recycle it will take it off your hands and may even charge to do so --- does not look good !

www.epa.gov/region6/6pd/pd-u-sw/mercury.htm

http://www.metalworld.com/a/0165.html
http://www.bethlehemapparatus.com/page01.htm
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate ... lities.htm

Simple google search on +mercury +recovery

Larry
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-from what investigation I've done this morning I've come to the same conclusion.
5-7

Post by 5-7 »

Just keep it, just store it in a sealed, cool dry place 8)
Metallic mercury is not toxic; the organomercury compounds and vapor are deadly