Drag race battery

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Jerry ARNOLD

Drag race battery

Post by Jerry ARNOLD »

Anyone have experience with a device called Volt guard?
Volt Guard 16 is advertised to maintain 16 volts @ 25 amps with as little as 9 volt input.
www.cfmvoltguard.com
thanks
jerry
Jerry Arnold
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I haven't had my hands on this one to test yet Jerry. I have supplied my nitrous clients with the one the Jacobs makes. This one works the same way.

These have been needed primarily to keep the fuel pump and ignition steady as the nitrous cars suck the life out of the battery in a heart beat and sometimes even an alternator can't keep up. It's a good thing to use regardless of the application since the MSDs are touchier about voltage than advertising leads one to believe.

Dave Koehler
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Larry Woodfin

Post by Larry Woodfin »

I need more tech info about this 9 volts being boosted to 16 volts. Until I see good engineering info I hold the device in question.
Jerry ARNOLD

Post by Jerry ARNOLD »

please click on their link

www.cfmvoltguard.com
I did receive a private message from a very reliable sorce telling me that this is the unit to have!
Dave Koehlers usage of a simmilar unit also tells me the importance of something like this.
Thanks for your help.
I am going to try one.
Jerry
Jerry Arnold
Masher Manufacturing
Expert
Expert
Post by Masher Manufacturing »

Larry Woodfin wrote:I need more tech info about this 9 volts being boosted to 16 volts. Until I see good engineering info I hold the device in question.
A DC to DC converter is a common electronic device. The low voltage DC is chopped up at high frequency then fed into a transformer to step it up then rectified back in to DC.
hsutton
Pro
Pro

Post by hsutton »

You might want to read up on the electrical needs of the typical drag car over on Yellow Bullet's board, on the electrical section. A guy over there from Canada manufactures high output alternators has lots to say on the subject and even high amperage alternators frequently don't make many amps at low speeds; his alternator's do. The man goes by the handle of RRRAAAYYY2, his company can be accessed at svapowerproducts.com.,there is a lot of detailed information there also.
BillyShope
Pro
Pro

Post by BillyShope »

Masher Manufacturing wrote:
Larry Woodfin wrote:I need more tech info about this 9 volts being boosted to 16 volts. Until I see good engineering info I hold the device in question.
A DC to DC converter is a common electronic device. The low voltage DC is chopped up at high frequency then fed into a transformer to step it up then rectified back in to DC.
Yup! Reminds me of the tube radios in the older cars, where an interrupter and transformer were used to get the high voltage required.
http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope