Do we have any guys here that work with PROPANE?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

drifter
Expert
Expert

Do we have any guys here that work with PROPANE?

Post by drifter »

I have a 100,000 btu radiant tube heater in the shop it uses 1/2 ID pipe for the gas line.There is a total of 35' of 1/2 gas from start to finish.The regulator is outside the shop wall and from there the line is 5/8 coated copper to the tank is is approx 1/2 ID but near the tank the previous owner has a rubber line thats only 1/4 hose and the end that screws into the top of my 1000 gal. tank is the same fitting & thread as a bbq tank.I am sure thats not correct the fitting has a small hole thats only .039 inch that the propane goes into then it goes into the 1/4 hose he has far about 5' then its all 1/2.

So my question is should there be a rubber flex hose that is the same size as the recomended line 1/2 and it has to have a bbq thread.But should the hole in the fitting be 1/2 as well or is it supost to be smaller?
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: Do we have any guys here that work with PROPANE?

Post by af2 »

drifter wrote:I have a 100,000 btu radiant tube heater in the shop it uses 1/2 ID pipe for the gas line.There is a total of 35' of 1/2 gas from start to finish.The regulator is outside the shop wall and from there the line is 5/8 coated copper to the tank is is approx 1/2 ID but near the tank the previous owner has a rubber line thats only 1/4 hose and the end that screws into the top of my 1000 gal. tank is the same fitting & thread as a bbq tank.I am sure thats not correct the fitting has a small hole thats only .039 inch that the propane goes into then it goes into the 1/4 hose he has far about 5' then its all 1/2.

So my question is should there be a rubber flex hose that is the same size as the recomended line 1/2 and it has to have a bbq thread.But should the hole in the fitting be 1/2 as well or is it supost to be smaller?

Off the regulator should be no smaller than 1/2" (10" WC measured) Check the pressure at the heater valve with it running for a correct measurement. (there is an 1/8" plug to screw the manometer bung into)
That will tell you if the size is too small.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Masher Manufacturing
Expert
Expert
Post by Masher Manufacturing »

Where is the regulator in the system? The .039 hole on the high pressure side ( about 200 PSI ) exists to limit flow should a line break. I don't know if the .039 hole will flow enough propane to support your heater. Try searching on the web site of REGO , they make lots of propane parts.

Most ( all? ) nat gas / propane devices have a built in regulator to trim pressure, all will need some sort of primary regulator to drop pressure from ~ 200 to 1/2 ish lb.
drifter
Expert
Expert

Post by drifter »

Ok heres the setup the tank is a 1000 gal. then i have the bbq fitting which i found oiut is called a POL fitting & it has a .039 hole that rubber hose is only 1/4 and is 5 ft long then it goes into 20' of copper 5/8 which has an ID of approx 1/2 then the regulator is there then theres about 7' of 5/8 copper to the heater
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

I am waiting for the burn pressure! That is the only way you can tell!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
drifter
Expert
Expert

Post by drifter »

Sorry af2 i forgot to reply.Ok my heater has a 1/8 plug on the gas valve for out pressure so i checked it there and it was at 10" on the 1/2 pipe theres a drip pocket and at the bottom it has a port i can undo & check the incomming pressure from the reg. i will get back to you on this.
I have seen on the manufactors specs a inlet pressure of 14" and i think 11" out
Masher Manufacturing
Expert
Expert
Post by Masher Manufacturing »

A restricton on the high presure side is less of a issue than the low pressure side. For example a torch can work with the tank valve open ever so slightly.

As AF2 said you ned the post reg / pre heater pressure while the unit is burning to make sure you have enough. If the pressure is low I'd increase the .039 restriction to say .050 and see what happens.

There has got to be a formula for calculating the flow at pressure for the restriction.
bpb8000

propane gas code

Post by bpb8000 »

The gas line size inside your building will support 282,000 BTU @ 11 inches water colume, no problem. Your regulator at the building ( called second stage) should reduce gas pressure going into the building to 11 to 14 inches water colume. The 5/8 copper tubing between the 1000 gal propane tank and the buildings second stage regulator is fine. The rubber hose is NOT CODE or SAFE to use in this application. This hose WILL de-grade, crack and rupture with time. The 5/8 copper tubing should extend all the way to the tank dome.Inside the tank dome you should have another regulator called a high pressure regulator usually red in color. this regulator is a pounds to pounds regulator. This regulator reduces tank pressure usually 100 psi or greater down to 2psi to 40 psi. Never adjust this pounds regulator to more than 40 psi. If more than 40 psi is used the propane vapor will re-liquify and cause you and your building serious harm. Then between the tank valve and the pounds regulator you will need a 1/4 or 3/8 copper line. This is a special line called a pigtail. This line is available from your gas supplier. The line has a special left hand thread that connects to the tank valve and a pipe thread on the other end that connects to the pounds regulator. Propane gas is a very safe product if used correctly, however if used incorrectly it can cause very serious harm or death. I suggest you have your qualified gas supplier inspect and correct your installation as their is still more code requirements that need taken care of such as regulator lock up testing,flow testing,sediment traps,tank placenent and correctly installed shut off valves that require a look see. I have 40 + years in the gas industry and have seen many bad accidents created by the do it yourself installations, do not play with this stuff.
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: propane gas code

Post by af2 »

bpb8000 wrote:The gas line size inside your building will support 282,000 BTU @ 11 inches water colume, no problem. Your regulator at the building ( called second stage) should reduce gas pressure going into the building to 11 to 14 inches water colume. The 5/8 copper tubing between the 1000 gal propane tank and the buildings second stage regulator is fine. The rubber hose is NOT CODE or SAFE to use in this application. This hose WILL de-grade, crack and rupture with time. The 5/8 copper tubing should extend all the way to the tank dome.Inside the tank dome you should have another regulator called a high pressure regulator usually red in color. this regulator is a pounds to pounds regulator. This regulator reduces tank pressure usually 100 psi or greater down to 2psi to 40 psi. Never adjust this pounds regulator to more than 40 psi. If more than 40 psi is used the propane vapor will re-liquify and cause you and your building serious harm. Then between the tank valve and the pounds regulator you will need a 1/4 or 3/8 copper line. This is a special line called a pigtail. This line is available from your gas supplier. The line has a special left hand thread that connects to the tank valve and a pipe thread on the other end that connects to the pounds regulator. Propane gas is a very safe product if used correctly, however if used incorrectly it can cause very serious harm or death. I suggest you have your qualified gas supplier inspect and correct your installation as their is still more code requirements that need taken care of such as regulator lock up testing,flow testing,sediment traps,tank placenent and correctly installed shut off valves that require a look see. I have 40 + years in the gas industry and have seen many bad accidents created by the do it yourself installations, do not play with this stuff.
You're 18 years on me says. Thank you. I just noticed the RUBBER LINE? He is in a country I havent a clue what they use for inspections but copper is out in the states for LP.
GURU is only a name.
Adam