MY 01 ford e150 4.6 starts for 5 secs and dies help please

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

drifter
Expert
Expert

MY 01 ford e150 4.6 starts for 5 secs and dies help please

Post by drifter »

I have a 2001 ford e150 with a 4.6 triton engine code W it has good fuel pressure 36psi when runnning and 40 psi with key on engine off. Turn the ket it starts right up and runs for 5 seconds and shuts off like somone turned the key off.start it again runs for 5 secs again then shuts off.everytime same thing.when you start it if you try & touch the gas pedal it dies right away it wont rev up at all.Any ideas guys?

I scanned it and it only has a lean o2 code & a cylinder misfire on # 2

thats all
MileHighMan
Guru
Guru

Post by MileHighMan »

Hey drifter. Make sure it's not losing spark, or injector pulse. If you got both, I'd look for a plugged cat converter. Pull one of the forward O2 sensors, then see if it will continue to run. Let us know and Good Luck. Dan.
fordtek1

Post by fordtek1 »

the first 2 items I'd ck would be the pcv valve hose connections. They are bad about failing, especially on the throttle body connection. Next, I'd ck the idle air control valve. Give it a good sharp rap w/ a wrench or screwdriver and then if the engine idles, it's sticking and needs to be replaced.
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

IAC motor
MAF

I'm not really a mechanic, but those would be my guesses.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
Noob
Pro
Pro

Post by Noob »

imobilizer...

wouldn't surprise me if your engine was starting and then the computer was imobilizing it..

I chased this around before when the wife had a chocolate bar melt in her purse on the key. she wiped off most of the chocolate but some got in the key hole and varried the resistance of the key and imobilized the car thinking it was stolen on a non factory key... same issues as above.
Mech Engineer
north florida engine/suspension tuner
Fabrication