will this work

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

F1Fever
Guru
Guru

will this work

Post by F1Fever »

on a chassis that has the torque tube going from the pinion to the transmission, I'd like to remove it and use some swedge tubes and heim joints to set the suspension up like below:

will this work?
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
beth
Expert
Expert

Post by beth »

That will work, just like a ladder bar. It may bind with rear axle movement depending on the spring/shock arangement. There will not be any movement at the heim joints other than the front one (if you are using 4 of them). The front heim joint is under lots of stress with this kind of design.

beth
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

The problem comes with a couple areas. Are the bottom bars parallel? The front would need to be a heim if not, and would be under more load than a true ladder bar. The other is the ability to adjust the front up or down, you may or may not have it in the optimum location for the best launch. Is this a Camaro or Firebird? There are other ways to make them work, or just convert it to a true ladder bar or 4-link.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

it's a vega
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
Sirshredalot

Post by Sirshredalot »

I dont mean to butt in here, But SPOHN performance is starting to make parts for the monzas and vegas, theyve already got lower rear control arms, and are working on an adjustable torque arm setup from what I hear.

Im a fan of the torque arm setup....not telling you how to build your car....just some options.
Lotsa guys run REAL fast with the torque arm setup.

God bless
-Shred

Check it out.
http://www.spohn.net/?action=shop&pcid=1376
spyder

Post by spyder »

You should check out the H-body forum. http://forums.h-body.org There are some 10 second cars on the stock torque arm suspension, and atleast one in the 9's. Like Shred said, Spohn has rear lower control arms available now. We at the H body forum are working with Spohn on developing many more suspension parts. Adjustble rear lowers, adjustable torque arms, front adjustable uppers, tubular front lowers (possibly for coil overs), subframe connectors (yes I know, no subframe, unibody, but what else would you call them?). The front control arms will be set up to use S-10 spindles (5 lug/bigger brakes). If you're into Vegas and Monzas that's the forum to go to.