16 Volt Battery Upgrade

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Procision-Auto
Guru
Guru

Post by Procision-Auto »

11secAvanti wrote:How do you charge up the 16 volt battery later? Does it require a special charger purchase too? The feedback has got me leaning toward the 16 volts. So it does not take out the electronics and MSD, right???
What about the delay box? Is it changing the time box time? Thanks.
I think the MSD 6 and 7 series ignitions are good for 18 volts of input.

The internal electronics will be protected by in-circuit regulators, so no
worries.
Larry Woodfin

Post by Larry Woodfin »

It requires a dedicated charger. Go to the Turbo Start battery or Powermaster web sites for more info.

I see no difference in delay settings. The noticeable differences are, starter spins engine great, puts a smile on your face to hear it spin! In addition, fuel pump and radiator fan are slightly faster.

Consider this about the voltage difference, the 16 volt battery without an alternator is about 1.5 volts more than a 12 volt system with alternator.

Also note, I suggest having the master turned off when charging because the charger will be at about 18 volts when running.

Overall, I see several advantages. First, I think starter, starter drive and flexplate life will be better with 16 volts. Reason, no hesitation or weak spins, it whirls right on around.

Second, I think over a race day the volt will be constantly higher and on average more stable.

Third, alternator can be removed saving a few pounds. Although a small amount, the alternator drag will be removed from the engine.

Fourth, battery is same size as a group 24 making it a bolt in swap.
TopSportsman916

Post by TopSportsman916 »

11secAvanti wrote:How do you charge up the 16 volt battery later? Does it require a special charger purchase too? The feedback has got me leaning toward the 16 volts. So it does not take out the electronics and MSD, right???
What about the delay box? Is it changing the time box time? Thanks.
Yes it requires a 16V charger. I know Turbo starts is about $200. Moroso makes a charger that will do both 12V & 16V batteries. If that had been available when I bought my set up, I would have gotten the Moroso. Before I switched I called every manufacturer that I had any of their electronics ( MSD,CVR,Perma Cool, Dedenbear, & Racepak) They all told me the same thing. As long as you don't go over 20V you will be fine. Racepak did tell me to be on the safe side to kill the main power prior to charging just so not to take any chances with the logger. So far not one problem so far. I haven't noticed any difference with my delay box ( CC-2). :D
A "dead" 16 volt battery will have more volts than a "good" 12 volt battery. Any doubt about the perf. of a 16 volt..... borow a buddies and crank it over.
MDT, Good point!! I forgot to add that one. Another thing I forgot is that since switching to the 16V, my car doesn't kick back on the starter like it used to. Not sure if its the 16V system or switching to fuel injection. Mabe someone smarter than me can answer that.

:oops: :oops: I didn't see the second page of replies until I had posted. Everything I wrote has pretty much been said. On an all out race car, I just can't see not using a 16V system.
Chris
rineharts performance

Post by rineharts performance »

Does any one with a data recorder have an opinion on which 16 volt battery holds a more consistant voltage going down track without an alternator. We will be using it for drag racing purposes.
Thanks for your opinions
Marty
http://www.RinehartsPerformance.com

http://www.ATIracing.com

http://www.autometer.com/datadealer.aspx

http://www.santhuffshocks.com
travlinman572

16v

Post by travlinman572 »

I like the 16v for starting and the ignition box. Shogun has good teck articles going against 16v for their water pumps. My question is with just the 16v post, is there a way to cut back the voltage to the other electric parts,regulator or diaodes or something? Just courios. Its time to replace my 3 yr old 12v batteries anyway. :shock:
TopSportsman916

rineharts performance wrote:Does any one with a data recorder have an opinion on which 16 volt battery holds a more consistant voltage going down track without an alternator. We will be using it for drag racing purposes.
Thanks for your opinions
Marty
Marty, I use Turbo Start batteries. My V300 always shows a flat line. I usually see 16.2V or a little better. I'm not using an alternator. :D
Chris
rineharts performance

Post by rineharts performance »

Thanks Chris, right now we have two 12 volt batteries in the car. I see there are a few new companies selling 16 volts. powermaster. the yellow V batt. etc.
thanks for your comments
Marty
http://www.RinehartsPerformance.com

http://www.ATIracing.com

http://www.autometer.com/datadealer.aspx

http://www.santhuffshocks.com
TopSportsman916

Yeah there are several different 16V batteries out there now. When I got my set up, TurboStart was it. I wouldn't mind trying the Rock 16V batteries. They are made right here in NC.
Chris
11secAvanti
Pro
Pro

Post by 11secAvanti »

Ok, I bought (invested) in the 16 volt Rock Race Battery. Ordered it Monday and hit the door step here yesterday. Checked it this morning and ready to crank at 16.9 volts on my voltmeter. Went with the three terminal model in case I elect to run just the water pump and fan from the 12 volt post. 42 lbs with over 1000 cold crank amps. Should carry the load for the entire day (I hope.)

But they don't offer a 16 volt charger yet. Sooo, can a simple 16 volt battery charger (like for a hand drill) trickle charge one of these batteries. Not looking for a high rate charger since I don't have a generator to drag to the track anyway. Just want something that is reasonable priced and adequate for the new battery. On the other sites, the battery chargers are pricey and I hate to spend all of my "stimulus refund" on starting the car. Need some of that money for the race fuel and oil. A 16 volt charger is a 16 volt charger, right? Thanks.
travlinman572

16V

Post by travlinman572 »

Im interested in what your doing also. How do you split the 16v from the 12v, 2 different master disconnects?
11secAvanti
Pro
Pro

Post by 11secAvanti »

Good question. I suspose the cut off could control the single ground to the battery and that would shut down everything. Anyone got a 16 volt charger recommendation or knowledge on any special charger requirements for these batteries?
bottlefed

16 volt

Post by bottlefed »

Hello Avanti,

I have reread the posts and have not seen anything about disconecting your current 12v alternator or going to a 16v alternator..

If you do not have a generator with you at the track I would look real hard at buying a 16v alternator from East Coast auto electric, they work real well and will charge the battery pretty quickly after a startup.

As far as worrying about hurting anything with the 16 volts unless you use one of the chargers with the power on you should be fine, many of these chargers spike voltage when charging and there is nothing like a square wave to kill solid state electronics. I think you will find your starter lasting longer due to the shorter crank times and lack of heat buildup.

PS be very carefull to not use any of the old 16v chargers on the new AGM 16v batteries as they will overcharge and kill them in short order.
11secAvanti
Pro
Pro

Post by 11secAvanti »

Thanks, I actually ordered a charger today from Bickel racing. Went with a 25 amp TurboStart Charger because it was designed for the AGM 16 volt and offered automatic protection. I did find out that the charger from the earlier 16 volt lead acid is not compatible. I have removed the 12 volt alternator believing that the 16 volt battery will carry the load for the event. At least I am hoping this is so. That was the purpose of the upgrade. To drop the alternator off the motor, drop the weight of two lead batteries and make the event on one high capacity 16 volt battery. Will know in a few weeks if the plan is a success or failure. At least the rebate monies went to products made in the USA.
11secAvanti
Pro
Pro

Post by 11secAvanti »

Tested the car Saturday for the first time on 16 volts. Very very pleased. Carried the load all day with no issues. Made 3 runs and loop around distances travel is a good 2 miles for the day I estimate. Ran all the systems. No swings or interuptions. Lots of engine starts since Friday evening install. Checked the voltage after off load yesterday and holding 16 volts from start of 16.9 volts Friday. No alternator, no expensive noisy generator. And went a best of 11.043 @ 119.47 I'm Happy for the $$$$ spent. Thanks to everyone who offered me guidance on this decision. The future has arrived for me.
partsmore

16 volt battery

Post by partsmore »

Ive been following your thread with interest; and some good information here.

We supply a line of 16 volt products including 16 volt batteries from 11# - 53#.

If weight is an issue - check out the NEW ULTRAlite batteries.
Chargers, alternators and other 12 & 16 volt equipment.

IF you want to run what the winners are using with great success,
check out theV battery at www.batteriesareus.com

We have alot of tech information for you!