Need a new helmet

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

482OLDS

Need a new helmet

Post by 482OLDS »

My helmet has expired, I need a new one.

What kind of helmet do I need to run faster than 9.99 ???

Can I get an open face one, or does it have to be full face???

I dont have a current NHRA rulebook, I tried NHRA's website but I couldn't find anything.

Anyone know where to get a good deal???
Tod74
Pro
Pro

Post by Tod74 »

I think snell 2000 is the cut off.. I may be wrong...but my Simpson is Snell 2005 as I suspect most new ones will be. Simpson is made in China by the way.
MileHighMan
Guru
Guru

Post by MileHighMan »

This last fall the tech inspector informed me that my helmet had expired. Says he'll let me use it that day but no more. Then in his next breathe he asks me to donate my helmet to the track to loan out. HMMMM. My thoughts are, if it ain't good enough for me, what makes it good enough for anybody :?: Good Luck and safe racing. Dan.
Tod74
Pro
Pro

Post by Tod74 »

MileHighMan wrote:This last fall the tech inspector informed me that my helmet had expired. Says he'll let me use it that day but no more. Then in his next breathe he asks me to donate my helmet to the track to loan out. HMMMM. My thoughts are, if it ain't good enough for me, what makes it good enough for anybody :?: Good Luck and safe racing. Dan.
I think it is all ascam to get more money for the helmet companies...If a helmet has not been hit against anything in a crash how can it "go bad" ?
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Tod74 wrote:
MileHighMan wrote:This last fall the tech inspector informed me that my helmet had expired. Says he'll let me use it that day but no more. Then in his next breathe he asks me to donate my helmet to the track to loan out. HMMMM. My thoughts are, if it ain't good enough for me, what makes it good enough for anybody :?: Good Luck and safe racing. Dan.
I think it is all ascam to get more money for the helmet companies...If a helmet has not been hit against anything in a crash how can it "go bad" ?
That is so true!
I now have a few!
Dam it! it rhymes.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Bubstr
Post by Bubstr »

I allways wondered about this too. Once someone speculated that the resins in the laminate keep releasing solvents after they are cured, much like paint on a car and over time it looses it's flexibility. This sounds feasible but whether it's true, I don't really know.
Older I get the less I know for sure
vetteman9368
Post by vetteman9368 »

Tod74 wrote:I think snell 2000 is the cut off.. I may be wrong...but my Simpson is Snell 2005 as I suspect most new ones will be. Simpson is made in China by the way.
not that I don't believe you but where did you get this info from?

"Simpson helmets and restraints are manufactured at the corporate headquarters, located in New Braunfels, Texas. A NASCAR Sales center and Simpson World Store are located in Mooresville, North Carolina, just North of Charlotte."

Directly off their website
Tod74
Pro
Pro

Post by Tod74 »

vetteman9368 wrote:
Tod74 wrote:I think snell 2000 is the cut off.. I may be wrong...but my Simpson is Snell 2005 as I suspect most new ones will be. Simpson is made in China by the way.

"Simpson helmets and restraints are manufactured at the corporate headquarters, located in New Braunfels, Texas. A NASCAR Sales center and Simpson World Store are located in Mooresville, North Carolina, just North of Charlotte."

It had a sticker stuck right to it that said "MADE IN CHINA"

purchased it new last summer.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Tod74 wrote:
vetteman9368 wrote:

:lol: I sure as heck won't argue that one. :shock: :lol:
What isn't made in china lately?
GURU is only a name.
Adam
nova john

Post by nova john »

What kind of helmet do I need to run faster than 9.99 ???

Faster than 9.99 you need an "SA" rated helmet- not an "M." I think the main difference is nomex lining.

I believe for 2008, the NHRA rule is closed face for faster than 9.99.

I had an eye-opening experience last year shopping for a new helmet at a motorsports show. Simpson helmets are in fact made in China now. :?

I bought a Bell. As of last spring, Bell helmets are made in America.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

nova john wrote:What kind of helmet do I need to run faster than 9.99 ???

I believe for 2008, the NHRA rule is closed face for faster than 9.99.
You are correct.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

Tod74, the reason the track wanted the helmet is for the street cars.
They're not required to be 'dated' or SFI certified.

Our Friday night races/time runs are for street cars and need a helmet.
Most kids drive in off the street and don't have one.
So the track loans them one for the night.
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
vetteman9368
Post by vetteman9368 »

Tod74 wrote:
vetteman9368 wrote:

what model? and where did you purchase it from? I ask because I have heard of some counterfiet simpson stuff
Tod74
Pro
Pro

Post by Tod74 »

vetteman9368 wrote:
Tod74 wrote:
vetteman9368 wrote: not that I don't believe you but where did you get this info from?

what model? and where did you purchase it from? I ask because I have heard of some counterfiet simpson stuff
Bandit

purchased from jegs
Tod74
Pro
Pro

Post by Tod74 »

nova john wrote:
I bought a Bell. As of last spring, Bell helmets are made in America.

Made in America by Chinese workers maybe?
JK :D