ford c4 wont go

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

fearitself

ford c4 wont go

Post by fearitself »

my nephew just put a 331 stroker in his 86 pony coupe. and put a 4000 stall converter in the c4 motor is runnig great but wont move we took the line to the cooler off and cranked the car no fluid pumped out any help would put him on the track so thanks ahead for your help fast or last
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: ford c4 wont go

Post by Keith Morganstein »

fearitself wrote:my nephew just put a 331 stroker in his 86 pony coupe. and put a 4000 stall converter in the c4 motor is runnig great but wont move we took the line to the cooler off and cranked the car no fluid pumped out any help would put him on the track so thanks ahead for your help fast or last
My first thought about no fluid flow is the front pump is not turning. Ford has the flats on the converter to drive the pump. Is the converter in all the way? did something crack in the pump when you coupled the engine to the trans?
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
fearitself

Post by fearitself »

thanks keith, im sure the converter isnt driving the pump, he said he had to pull the converter toward the flex plate to tighten it so i feel the flats are not where they should be but, still shouldnt they mesh when all is bolted together he said it seated then he pulled it to the flex about maybe a quarter inch. he will be pulling it apart in the morning we may have to wait and see i told him may be something simple. MURF's LAW you know!
it is a DSS racing cnc short block could there be more distance because of the cnc'ed block, maybe shimming the converter toward the tranny?
redvictor

Post by redvictor »

fearitself wrote:thanks keith, im sure the converter isnt driving the pump, he said he had to pull the converter toward the flex plate to tighten it so i feel the flats are not where they should be but, still shouldnt they mesh when all is bolted together he said it seated then he pulled it to the flex about maybe a quarter inch. he will be pulling it apart in the morning we may have to wait and see i told him may be something simple. MURF's LAW you know!
it is a DSS racing cnc short block could there be more distance because of the cnc'ed block, maybe shimming the converter toward the tranny?
about maybe a 1/4"? maybe that's all the neck was in the pump gears....
Pull out should be .100" to .125".Flat shims can be used between the converter feet and the flexplate to take up the rest of the clearance...

http://www.redvictor1racing.co.uk
worlds fastest street driven car on pump gas
7.67 @ 189mph. 3350#,315 radials and Shell V power.
7.41 @ 197.8mph @3460#,ET streets and VP fuel so far.....
fearitself

Post by fearitself »

thanks keith, and red great answers and a lot of help it was the shims! we bought some stainless steel spacers at the local hardware it took a .375 and a .250 to get the .125 worked like a charm for only 20 bucks. im a chevy guy and i like that 331 ford. shhh... dont tell anyone but, i must admit it's a very fast motor can't wait too see it at the track!! thanks bro's again!!!!!
p/s it was a dayco 8" conveter for a c4 w/4000 stall
redvictor

Post by redvictor »

No problem,glad you sorted it out... 8)
worlds fastest street driven car on pump gas
7.67 @ 189mph. 3350#,315 radials and Shell V power.
7.41 @ 197.8mph @3460#,ET streets and VP fuel so far.....