Starter search

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

buddy c

Starter search

Post by buddy c »

i need some help finding a new starter for my car, here are the requirments. must be for a 168 tooth flexplate,must be for a chevy sbc dart block which has both patterns, must be able to handle 14.1 compression,and last i need it to be a starter that does not have the extra 1" in length because the longer starters cause a header tube interference problem on my car. i have already tried a csr platnum starter and it is to long and the other starter i would like to use is the tilton,and it is advertised to be 1" longer than other minis in its class. Help
srd

Post by srd »

cnc motor sports ...great starters and prices... :)
still trying to find the stripe
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

BTW, cam duration, more specifically: IVC, has as much to do with the demand on the starter as Static CR.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
buddy c

Post by buddy c »

the starter i need would have to measure 71/4" long measured from the edge of the mouting block to the end plate of the starter.the csr platum i tried was exactly 1" longer and had header interference. anyone know of a starter the length i need?
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I use the late GM mini starter on blower engines. It's small, fits in tight and so far has held up to repeated 24 volt starting. Heck,... it even has a nose support and engages the flywheel teeth all the way across.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
buddy c

Post by buddy c »

Dave Koehler wrote:I use the late GM mini starter on blower engines. It's small, fits in tight and so far has held up to repeated 24 volt starting. Heck,... it even has a nose support and engages the flywheel teeth all the way across.
have you got a part number for it Dave?
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I don't know the GM number but powermaster also sells it. Believe it comes off of the newer Vettes, etc. Maybe all of them now. Haven't researched it.
It's the one at the top of this page. http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/1 ... rters.html

Some local guys have had to use this one to solve header clearance problems on door cars. Quick and crude measurement of mine is 7 3/8 from the bellhousing surface to the front. It does tuck in tighter than the converted japanese starters.
buddy c

Post by buddy c »

Dave Koehler wrote:I don't know the GM number but powermaster also sells it. Believe it comes off of the newer Vettes, etc. Maybe all of them now. Haven't researched it.
It's the one at the top of this page. http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/1 ... rters.html

Some local guys have had to use this one to solve header clearance problems on door cars. Quick and crude measurement of mine is 7 3/8 from the bellhousing surface to the front. It does tuck in tighter than the converted japanese starters.
that starter looks exactly like the one i removed from my car and would probably fit, only thing is it is only good to 10.5:1 compression and my motor is 14:1. thanks anyway.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

If you are starting with the ignition on that would likely be true.
I
buddy c

Post by buddy c »

Dave Koehler wrote:If you are starting with the ignition on that would likely be true.no i roll it then hit the ignition. but since i installed this higher compression motor i have a kickback problem.
I
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

That's also what is on a Chevy dually with 454 (1995-?).
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

unhook the start retard.
badbug3
Pro
Pro

bad choice for starters for hotrods!!!!!

Post by badbug3 »

that gm type starter is an excellent starter but it really is only for around 11-1 max compression on a maybe 454 only. MAIN PROBLEM WITH THAT STARTER IS IT HAS A PLAAAASTIC PLANETERY GEAR IN IT AND ONE KICK BACK FROM NOT ENOUGH TORQUE AND IT WILL STRIP ALL THE TOOFIES OFF IT RIGHT NOW.n Will leave u stranded quite often.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Dave Koehler wrote:unhook the start retard.
That is good advice! Running a 7AL3 I have the option of retarding at the start and the engine hated it! Took it out and it starts fine!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
jstand

Post by jstand »

Wonder if its possible to fit the gear assembly for a 168 tooth starter on the starter from the 6.5l GM diesels? (ACDelco Part # 336-1912)

The diesels ony have 139 teeth, but the ID of the ring gear is the same as the 168 toot ring gear so the spacing out from the flywheel should be the same.

It should handle the compression (my 6.5 was 21:1), and with dual batteries would hold up to the extended cranking required to fire that engine on cold mornings with 15W40 in the crank case.