WTB - Mopar 318-360 ARP rod bolts/nuts

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

WTB - Mopar 318-360 ARP rod bolts/nuts

Post by PackardV8 »

I want to see if I can put ARP rod bolts in Packard V8 rods. The small block Mopar is the closest thing I've found in the book, but it will require some reaming and spot facing. Anyone got a dusty set on the shelf somewhere I could get to try this idea?
(Yes, I've spoken with ARP and they couldn't find anything closer.) The ARP numbers would be 144-6001, 6021 or 6401.

Thnx, jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Mike Rogers
Expert
Expert

Re: WTB - Mopar 318-360 ARP rod bolts/nuts

Post by Mike Rogers »

Jack under AERA data they say you can use 440 rod bolts so i bought them to try it you have to do some major work to get them to work i just bought new stock ones and used them with the 440 nuts.
Mike Rogers
215-674-5240
EQ Cylinder Heads
http://www.rogersperformance.com
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Yep, the BBM bolts are .005" too large and 1/4" too long.

The SBM bolts are same diameter, but just a few thou too short. I'm going to spot face both top and bottom to get a smooth surface and ream the top 1/4" .005". The good news is they'll be a bit lighter than the Packard bolts and nuts when I'm done.

FWIW, ARP makes a rod bolt for Studebaker V8s. It almost works in the Packard V8, but is .005" too small in body diameter. I asked ARP about just making the knurling a bit deeper and I could use those. However, as ARP has gotten larger, they are less willing to do anything the least bit custom. Proof, the special order department hasn't returned my call.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Mike Rogers
Expert
Expert

Post by Mike Rogers »

Jack is this something you will use a lot of because i did talk to an engineer at SPS that lives around the corner from me about making bolts.
Mike Rogers
215-674-5240
EQ Cylinder Heads
http://www.rogersperformance.com