Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Re: Why Do Medical Expeses Keep Rising?

Post by GARY C » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:15 am

Firedome8 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:12 pm
woody b wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:23 pm
"Pre existing conditions" were, and have always been covered, as long as there's no lapse of coverage. You could change insurance providers, and still have coverage for preexisting conditions as long as there wasn't a lapse in coverage.

Let's compare health insurance to other types of insurance. Most States require that motorists have liability insurance. If you're a safe driver with no tickets or at fault accidents your rates are lower than someone who's had tickets, and at fault accidents. It makes sense that good drivers would pay less, since they cost the insurance companies less.

Homeowners insurance? If you live in an area prone to flooding you have to pay more for flood insurance.

I'm 53 and I've been lucky with my health. I've never spent a night in a hospital (as a patient) and I've never met my insurance deductible. I've been paying health insurance premiums for 35 years, but no insurance company has ever paid out a single penny toward my healthcare. Why should I pay more for health insurance just because someone else has a preexisting condition?

It all comes back to the question is healthcare a right that should be provided for everyone, or is it a privilege that should be purchased. Unlike politicians and judges all over the country I've actually read the constitution. Quite a few goods and services are provided for people who refuse to pay their part too though.

Wrong,,,I guess when the state forced you to buy car ins its ok !!! When I wanted to buy my own ins 10 years ago it was totally unaffordable.
Thats because 10 years ago you would be paying for your health care not someone else but you would still be buying under a screwed up gov system and is why it's so expensive.
If the gov was out of health care altogether you would not need insurance to pay for the false over pricing.
FYI, when they went to a force auto ins premiums dbl with in roughly a year, homeowners ins would be a sort of good example of free market but it's not because of the gov but I pay less to cover home, shop and all I own then I do to cover a 10,000 truck with full coverage.

woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:01 am

The state doesn't force me to buy car insurance. I only need car insurance if I choose to drive.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Okay let the wealthy company's run amuck. With no price controls. We already have that with the auto industry where no competition is allowed. No mom and pops can build brand new cars. So instead of $4000. priced cars we have them priced at $40,000. So that fully proves all you free market folks wrong. (oh and any cheap costing foreign cars are banned) When the wealthy have no controls on them they go the way of more greed, and then with that greed comes power and then they get to dictate the rules and keep any completion out of the picture. You all show zero thought process and lack of simple logic.

woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:45 pm

The auto industry is a poor example of free market. You even mention government controls. We don't need the government meddling in healthcare. The automotive industry is proof of how prices grow with government involvement. (and bail outs)

An example of somewhat free enterprise. In 1992 I bought a Glock 20. (10mm semi auto handgun) I paid almost $700 for it. That same model today, from the same store is $569. In 1992 Glock had virtually no competition for polymer framed striker fired handguns. Today there's a bunch of competition. Health care would be the same with without the Governments meddling.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:10 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:09 pm
Okay let the wealthy company's run amuck. With no price controls. We already have that with the auto industry where no competition is allowed. No mom and pops can build brand new cars. So instead of $4000. priced cars we have them priced at $40,000. So that fully proves all you free market folks wrong. (oh and any cheap costing foreign cars are banned) When the wealthy have no controls on them they go the way of more greed, and then with that greed comes power and then they get to dictate the rules and keep any completion out of the picture. You all show zero thought process and lack of simple logic.
Wrong, you have massive gov control in the auto industry with unions, EPA, safety, economy and after the bailouts even who and how many dealers are allowed.
I believe it is Tesla that is a semi private owned company that has been in battle with the gov for years to also be their own car dealer but the gov doesn't allow it. Tesla's idea is that if we can keep things in house and some what small we can police customer service and wasteful spending.

In many cases the foreign auto company's are given a break on the gov regulation and control to get them to come here, so their vehicles are usually better priced than the big 3.

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:19 pm

woody b wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:01 am
The state doesn't force me to buy car insurance. I only need car insurance if I choose to drive.
True but it would be even cheaper if they went back to a No Fault policy system, meaning you are insuring your vehicle only, If you accidentally ran into someone that chose not to have insurance then that's their problem.

Thankfully I have only been hit by a cpl of people but none had insurance so mine had to pay anyway, so the forced auto ins does nothing but drive up cost.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:05 pm

woody b wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:01 am
Want to drive=forced to buy insurance

Want to live=forced to buy heath care

Hmmmm... =D>

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:08 pm

The only gov control needed is health care prices, no other involvement. They the prices need to be set to what I had posted and no more allowed.
Also the stupid tons of greek mythology college classes and how to be a good street demonstrator type classes and even high end math classes are not needed and are a total waste of time and brain space for a surgeon. It needs to be like anyother skilled job, apprenticeship. Lower the costs to become a Dr. and teach that you need to like doing it, and kill the desire to be greedy and become a millionaire off of peoples misery.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:09 pm
Have you ever studied economics? Even in its most elementary forms?

Price controls always fail. Always.

What you call greed is the pursuit of profits which is the legitimate function of any business.
Taxes are based on profits. Wages are based on profits. The arts and sciences are based on profits.
Charity is based on profits. If you think otherwise, perhaps you would consider donating your full salary to
the government. We can't allow you to make a profit now can we?

Your auto analogy is invalid because of all the government controls, standards and requirements dictated by Congress and stupid but well meaning bureaucrats.

Cheap imported cars are readily available but they can't pass government crash standards. And the Democrap unions don't like them very much.

The free market system is the only one that really works. And that's the problem. Governments hate the free market since they have no control over them. As soon as controls are legislated, there is no longer a free market.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:02 pm

Its a case of oh well, this is one case where price control is needed badly. Maybe people that really want to be Dr.s and such will then have a good chance to do the job. Because if the greedy ones leave the profession things will have to change as far as restrictive requirements to get into the profession. The medical system is the demo c rat's "oil company's".

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:50 pm

When it absolutely positively has to be there over night, US Postal Service or Fed Ex?

Someone to locate your missing child, State Police or Private Investigator?

Your facing life in prison for a crime you didn't commit, Court Appointed Attorney or Private Attorney?

You need a race winning engine Pro Stock Engine, Public School Shop Class or Pro Builder?

Do you want cheap or effective?

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:58 pm

GARY C wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:50 pm
When it absolutely positively has to be there over night, US Postal Service or Fed Ex?

Someone to locate your missing child, State Police or Private Investigator?

Your facing life in prison for a crime you didn't commit, Court Appointed Attorney or Private Attorney?

You need a race winning engine Pro Stock Engine, Public School Shop Class or Pro Builder?

Do you want cheap or effective?
When you don't have a buck, you can only afford cheap.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:37 pm

Oh and not regulating the prices is so hypocritical of some here. You would rather sky high prices and then have the poor and others have the tax payers pay the nice high medical greed price for them, its all like $10,000. toilet seats for the military or what ever. Why does every one want the super wealthy pigs to have more of our hard earned $? You all make zero sense.

Oh and why do some donate blood, and when you get an xfusion the cost is about 10K?

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:42 am

Why does every one want the super wealthy pigs to have more of our hard earned $? You all make zero sense.
Because its MY hard earned money, not yours. Go earn your own. Oink, oink.

If you really think prices for some commodity are too high, ask yourself why that would be.
If excess profits are available in some sectors, there would soon be a stampede of competing providers.

Why not start a business and try to be really greedy and make tons of money? Let us know how that works out for you.

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:57 am

exhaustgases wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:37 pm
Oh and not regulating the prices is so hypocritical of some here. You would rather sky high prices and then have the poor and others have the tax payers pay the nice high medical greed price for them, its all like $10,000. toilet seats for the military or what ever. Why does every one want the super wealthy pigs to have more of our hard earned $? You all make zero sense.

Oh and why do some donate blood, and when you get an xfusion the cost is about 10K?
Your missing the point that gov price control is what makes some over wealthy and some over broke and what makes things un-affordable to many.
If you have ever worked in the med industry you would know that if it wasn't for the money most would not be there. If you think heath care is expensive then price mal practice insurance and everything else it takes to be a dr, then you will know why you pay what you pay and then you can thank the gov for your price controlled dr bill.

If you had a true free market then you would have a true open medical option and the people that were good would thrive based on results.

Why is it that all employees expect max pay for their job and a cost of living expense but then consider it wrong when the guy paying you expects the same thing?