I bet the NFL is hurting.

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

woody b
Expert
Expert

I bet the NFL is hurting.

Post by woody b » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:19 pm

1st. My "boycott" of the NFL has not teeth. I haven't watched the NFL since they went on strike in 1982.

My wife and I went to a local Steakhouse for supper tonight. When we walked in there was a row of TV's with a football game on. I started to leave, but it's a locally owned family business, not a big chain. Their food is really good too. I know the owner, and he's a good guy.

So, I decided to see who was advertising during the game. Every single commercial was for a TV program or Sports event. Not a single add for beer, potato chips, soft drinks, shoes, cars, or anything except network programming and sports events. I don't know how long we were there, but long enough to eat a steak, baked potato and salad.

I saw the owner as we were leaving. I told him I started to leave when I saw football on, but decided that wouldn't do anything to address the actual problem. He said he had all the TV's on the Nascar race until it went off. Like most small business owners he doesn't want to lose ANY customers.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

Ratu
Pro
Pro

Re: I bet the NFL is hurting.

Post by Ratu » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:06 am

People go to a restaurant to watch TV in the USA?

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:03 am

Ratu wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:06 am
People go to a restaurant to watch TV in the USA?
Those are what I call "Sports Bars", ie, they have a Bar with TVs, but they also have booths or tables around where you can get a meal if you want.

One chain restaurant that I go to called Logan's Road House has a Bar section and a Restaurant section. I don't drink any more but the Wife and I usually sit in a booth in the Bar section because we like that atmosphere. It kinda reminds me of when I was MUCH younger than I am now!! :wink:

AND I DIDN'T WATCH ANY FOOTBALL YESTERDAY EITHER!! =D>
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:06 pm

No NFL in out house either. We now call it the National Felon League.

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:39 pm

I watched all the games I normally would.

I call it "not being a snowflake" :mrgreen:

1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:51 pm

sanfordandson wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:39 pm
I watched all the games I normally would.

I call it "not being a snowflake" :mrgreen:
I call it supporting those who disrespect our flag and national anthem. Of course I would expect you to support that.

Ratu
Pro
Pro

Post by Ratu » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:33 am

Ken0069

Got it. It is an interesting phenomenon.

We go to restaurants to enjoy the food and the company, occasionally the music also. A sports bar is a different matter. Most of the bars (in the pubs) I visit do not run TV audibly or at all (unless there is some major deal going on). They are about good times, good drinks, shared with your good friends. TV just gets in the way of that. It would be an unnecessary distraction really, especially all those hysterical voices and incessant advertising.

If you'd like to enjoy some real footy try watching Australian Rugby League. No helmets. No armour. No long stoppages. No nationalistic virtue signalling. Just real action.

Cheers!

In-Tech
Guru
Guru

Post by In-Tech » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:01 pm

But what about the Blacks? :wink:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl

Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:42 pm

woody b wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:19 pm
... but decided that wouldn't do anything to address the actual problem.
Whoa, that's a level of introspection and perspective not often seen on the internet. =D>
I often wonder how much inane whining and moaning could be avoided online if people would just consider that for a second.

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:38 pm

NFL football remains the most watch thing on tv....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... -4-1044792
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:35 pm

Ratu wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:33 am
Ken0069

Got it. It is an interesting phenomenon.

We go to restaurants to enjoy the food and the company, occasionally the music also. A sports bar is a different matter. Most of the bars (in the pubs) I visit do not run TV audibly or at all (unless there is some major deal going on). They are about good times, good drinks, shared with your good friends. TV just gets in the way of that. It would be an unnecessary distraction really, especially all those hysterical voices and incessant advertising.

If you'd like to enjoy some real footy try watching Australian Rugby League. No helmets. No armour. No long stoppages. No nationalistic virtue signalling. Just real action.

Cheers!
FYI, TVs in the Sports Bars I've been in don't have the volume up either, ie, Closed Caption is running if you want to know what's being said! :wink:
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:59 pm

mk e wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:38 pm
NFL football remains the most watch thing on tv....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... -4-1044792
The teams i watched this weekend all had full stadiums. I suspect there will be some outrage from a very small but loud minority. They will forget all about it and continue to live their normal lives (as they should)

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:47 pm

I am just looking forward to that whole sport to go down the tube. I've half seen a few play offs, and sorry foot ball is pure boredom, I'd rather a good book to read or study and learn something.

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:43 am

exhaustgases wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:47 pm
I've half seen a few play offs, and sorry foot ball is pure boredom
I think that is the point, NASCAR falls in the same camp but is even more mindless (to watch). You don't need to pay attention, but have an excuse to be doing nothing for hours, it still makes sense when you drunk so you can have parties around it.......what more could you want?

(I watch neither btw)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

woody b
Expert
Expert

Post by woody b » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:16 am

I'm not much for watching TV at all. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have ALWAYS hated EVERY PENNY of taxpayers money spent of professional sports stadiums and arenas. Over the years Charlotte has built 3 arenas as well as the Stadium the Panthers play in with mostly taxpayer money. At least 2 times there were referendums for the funding that were defeated. Local taxes were added to fund the stadiums and improvements anyway. "They" cite the economic impact of the games, but only a few businesses near the stadium or arenas get any benefit.

I'm pretty much against "corporate" welfare, but funding arenas and stadiums for billionaire owners and millionaire players is many times worse.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.