27 Dead In Texas Church Shooting

Any topic with a chance of polarization - Not for the easily offended.

Moderator: Team

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Re: 27 Dead In Texas Church Shooting

Post by GARY C » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:30 pm

woody b wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:17 pm
dirtracr5 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:13 pm
Unfortunately shooting back during a mass shooting is not "preventing it"

Doing something about these nut cases BEFORE it happens is a good start to preventing it.
It didn't prevent this one, but it kept it from being worse. If everyday citizens are made defenseless via gun control criminals and nutjobs will not have anyone to stop them, except Police, who may not be anywhere close to the trouble. It's sad, but many of the Chruches around here have plans for attacks like the one in Texas. It's not preventing it, but a shooter wouldn't be going from row to row picking out who he's going to shoot.
I don't carry for personal protection but most people I know do including Christians, I don't know if churches don't allow it because I don't go but if I was a minister, teacher or what ever that had a crowd of people gathering I would carry to protect them and I would not discourage others from doing the same.
If the shooter knew several people there were going to shoot back chances are he would have never been there, it only took 1 shooing at him to make him drop his gun and run...Pu$$ys prey on the week and un armed and run when confronted.

Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:41 pm

Plenty of churches allow concealed carry. One time I visited my brother in Pennsylvania I went to church with him and he said "oh by the way probably half of the people in this church are carrying"

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:47 pm

Zmechanic wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:41 pm
Plenty of churches allow concealed carry. One time I visited my brother in Pennsylvania I went to church with him and he said "oh by the way probably half of the people in this church are carrying"
You would think they would, I don't understand any business that would not want a legal gun owner carrying in their place... a friend of mine told after the Orlando shooting that if someone tried that in a Texas gay bar they would have a gun fight on their hands.

woody b
Expert
Expert

Post by woody b » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:44 am

Gun laws vary greatly from State to State. Until late 2014 it was against the law to have a weapon in a Chruch (and many other places) in NC. I don't know what the laws are in Texas.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.

Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:16 am

GARY C wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:47 pm
Zmechanic wrote:
You would think they would, I don't understand any business that would not want a legal gun owner carrying in their place... a friend of mine told after the Orlando shooting that if someone tried that in a Texas gay bar they would have a gun fight on their hands.
Lol.. You can even carry on UT campus here. Open carry is allowed as well, although I'm in the Austin bubble so I never see that. PA still seems to have that old school freedom or death independence spirit, or maybe it's just me supposing it. They certainly have the least red tape for gun ownership of any state in that general area. I've been there many times and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'd rather live there than CA, that's for sure.

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Zmechanic wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:16 am
GARY C wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:47 pm
Zmechanic wrote:
Lol.. You can even carry on UT campus here. Open carry is allowed as well, although I'm in the Austin bubble so I never see that. PA still seems to have that old school freedom or death independence spirit, or maybe it's just me supposing it. They certainly have the least red tape for gun ownership of any state in that general area. I've been there many times and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'd rather live there than CA, that's for sure.
Yeah I have been in the out skirts of the Dallas area my entire life and all in all I can't complain.

woody b
Expert
Expert

Post by woody b » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:58 am

According to a friend of mine it's against the law to carry a weapon (open or concealed) in a Church in Texas.

RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:11 am

Soft targets are what actually need to be illegal.

Ken0069
Guru
Guru

Post by Ken0069 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:00 am

RevTheory wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:11 am
Soft targets are what actually need to be illegal.
Along with "Gun Free Zones"!!

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Big Boyz Toyz!

Global Warming Is a FRAUD!

Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:44 am

woody b wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:58 am
According to a friend of mine it's against the law to carry a weapon (open or concealed) in a Church in Texas.
It's up to the church. There is no state law against it.

GARY C
Guru
Guru

Post by GARY C » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:56 pm

Zmechanic wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:44 am
woody b wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:58 am
It's up to the church. There is no state law against it.
With the church falling for the 501c3 I could see where they could be pressured to not allow it.

nitro2
Guru
Guru

Post by nitro2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 am

Just out of curiosity, lets say 1960 as a random year, countrywide about what percentage of people carried (even infrequently). In 2017 what is the same figure. Maybe there is no accurate answer, but what would be a reasonable guesstimate just based on observation.
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
In-Cylinder Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
High Speed Intake/Exhaust Port Pressure Tuning Equipment
www.tfxengine.com
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
1-800-479-5571

sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:11 am

nitro2 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 am
Just out of curiosity, lets say 1960 as a random year, countrywide about what percentage of people carried (even infrequently). In 2017 what is the same figure. Maybe there is no accurate answer, but what would be a reasonable guesstimate just based on observation.
Good question. The number of households that own a gun has declined but gun production and sales have skyrocketed. Also the number of background checks has more than doubled since 2000.

https://www.npr.org/2016/01/05/46201746 ... he-numbers

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Post by Dave Koehler » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:04 am

nitro2 wrote:
Darn, that's a chicken and egg question.
let's see, as a young boy in 1960 I owned 2 shotguns. By the time I was out on my own living in the city I left them behind with my younger brothers.
Saw no need for them. Decades later I contemplate buying a gun from time to time. It's actually sad that I have to consider that now.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."

woody b
Expert
Expert

Post by woody b » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:20 am

nitro2 wrote:
I can't answer, but in 1980 I got a new (to me) shotgun for Christmas. I took it to school to show my friends. The Principal even came out in the parking lot to look at it. A BUNCH of students had gun racks in their trucks, and most had guns in them. Most days I had a .22 rifle in my gun rack. When I didn't have to work after School me and my friends would go squirrel hunting or plinking. We never took the guns inside the building, and none of us ever considered shooting anyone. In 1978 I took the "North Carolina Hunter Education Course". This was in Jr High. My Dad had a big glass gun cabinet. It had a lock on it, but the key stayed in the lock. I wouldn't dare touch that cabinet without permission though. Guns haven't changed, society has. Back then we (everyone) respected each other, and respected human life.