KwikWay 049 Portable Seat Pocket cutter set

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

KwikWay 049 Portable Seat Pocket cutter set

Post by ProPower engines »

Kwik Way 049 Portable seat cutter set with all attachments and tooling.
These are fixed resharpen-able Seat pocket cutters from 9/16" to 2 1/2" for cutting seat pocket to install hard seats.
This works on gas or diesel OHV heads or Flat head blocks. Fast set up and quick operation
Used 3/8" electric drill or air drill to power.
Asking $650 possible trade for ???
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
rce4csh
Pro
Pro
Re: KwikWay 049 Portable Seat Pocket cutter set

Post by rce4csh »

After seeing your ad here I got to looking at the one under my bench. Never opened it up since It was bestowed upon me. The instructions are dated 1945 and the whole deal is bathed in cosmoline. Pretty impressive piece of equipment! Have you used the one you have much and if so how well does it work? Just curious!
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Over the last 25 years I have used it a ton.
Back in the day when we did valve jobs with stones at the service station it was a invaluable piece of shop equipment. We were the only garage for a long distance that could do a complete head job without going to town and having this work done.

It is a very simple piece or equipment to use. It was designed for installing replacement seats in cast iron heads.
It works very quickly and is adaptable for use with any head or block. Since replacement seats back in the day were not as hard as they are now it was very easy and fast but todays nickel seats are a challange for the cutters requiring resharpening frequently but the newer style index-able or fixed cutter bodys can be used with it as well.
It was designed for older flat head engines where the block was not able to be put in a S+G machine.
I have used it for field repairs on equipment as well as in the shop. The range of cutters that comes in the set is impressive and quite extensive for almost any seat repair up to a 2.5" seat diameter.

I am only selling it because I have a complete Sunnen adjustable seat cutter setup as well as 25 seperate index-able seat cutters so I just do not need it and since I have gotten older my desire to do field repairs has diminished.
For a guy just starting in a small shop doing any seat replacement this would be a perfect starter setup.

A 3/8" drill is all you need to power it and todays cordless drills would do the job quite well in the field if needed.
If you have the instructions just give them a read over and you will see how easy it is to set up and use.
Hope it helps
Dave
rce4csh
Pro
Pro

Post by rce4csh »

Man thanks for the great response! i appreciate learning it was so versatile. The unit I have was gift from an old guy that used to hang around a bit. Never knew his real name cause we early on knicknamed him "six-banger!" He told me that someday I would need this set up. Got a few pieces over the course of a couple of years in trade for time on the dyno and the flow bench. He just loved to mess around with old GMC six cylinders and he was cool to have around. While I never used the set counterbore set up, the Kwik-way portable line bore set up I got from him has been a God send on many occasions. I will get to removing the cosmoline here soon and give this a set up a whirl. BTW, in your garage how did you surface heads back then? Just kinda curious. Thanks again!
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Back when cast iron heads were used on everything we had a KwikWay 855 wet surfacer. It could be used for heads and some short blocks exhaust manifolds(GM and Ford and chrysler L6 manifolds) it was and still is a great old machine.
I still have it and use it all the time for exhaust manifolds diesel heads and other stuff that can be ground.
The nice thing about it was you did not have to stand and baby sit it like todays machines.
The traverse was auto changing so it would travel back and fourth with out touching it. That way you could set the depth and the stops and it would keep going till there was nothing left and just spark out when done.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Kwik Way 049 Portable seat cutter set with all attachments and tooling.
These are fixed resharpen-able Seat pocket cutters from 9/16" to 2 1/2" for cutting seat pocket to install hard seats.
This works on gas or diesel OHV heads or Flat head blocks. Fast set up and quick operation
Used 3/8" electric drill or air drill to power.
Asking $650 possible trade for ???

BUMP
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Bump forgot I still had them :D
Complete kit in box.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

BUMP
Still for sale.
$650 OBO.
Mutly

Post by Mutly »

Is the cutter set still for sale...how much to post to the UK.
Eddie.