outdoor wood boiler for heating

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

drifter
Expert
Expert

outdoor wood boiler for heating

Post by drifter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:16 pm

Has anyone used an outdoor wood boiler for heating there house or shop? I have a few questions first what temp did you run the water at? If you use the 1" pex line under ground can you use any other type of clamps to clamp the lines to the fittings Have you ever used a water to water heat exchanger on your hot water tank? Is it worth puting one in?

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Re: outdoor wood boiler for heating

Post by pdq67 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:06 pm

Please do your homework here because the EPA has an emissions controlling Model Rule out that they are trying to get state's to adopt voluntarily because they haven'y bothered themselves with creating an area source rule. And the far N/E state's have as well as Washington.

All this is going to make it harder to get them tested and approved, plus way harder to site on your lot so again PLEASE do your homework here!!

Just type in something like EPA's OWB Model Rule and it should pop right up..

pdq67

SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:46 am

drifter wrote:Has anyone used an outdoor wood boiler for heating there house or shop? I have a few questions first what temp did you run the water at? If you use the 1" pex line under ground can you use any other type of clamps to clamp the lines to the fittings Have you ever used a water to water heat exchanger on your hot water tank? Is it worth puting one in?
I would guess the Swedes here should be able to answer that.. fairly common way to heat houses in Sweden, for some strange reason not common at all here over the border... :?
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:35 am

Fwiw, my good Buddy, Doc has one and all I'm going to say is that at idle it smokes a lot and this is why the EPA is down on them.

Doc's is located right at 50 feet from the front of his place in the trees and works great as far as I'm concerned. Use enough hot water and it's small fan kick's in and it doesn't smoke as much..

I asked my big "Mic" Buddy Murph at work recently about loading a big round bail of hay in it and he said that the ash from the straw has to be "shaken off" the bail or it will choke the burn and the fire will go out...

pdq67

BEAST540

Post by BEAST540 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Do your homework on them. Don't buy according to price. I bought a Central Boiler. In my opinion it is one of the best built. I live in Michigan where we have some pretty good winters and have never been able to keep our house as warm as we do now. Mine barely smokes when its not calling for heat. The biggest mistake people make is they skimp on the underground pipe. Bite the bullet and buy the good stuff.

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:53 pm

http://www.vtwoodsmoke.org/regl-other.html

Look hard at this.

I am NOT going farther bcause what I just typed and deleted is work related and it may get me in trouble. Sorry, but if I posted it, then maybe people could see just how much of a problem SMOKE production is legal-wise nowadays.

pdq67

PS., but I will post MO rule numbers 10 CSR 10-5.040 and 10 CSR 10-6.220 if anybody wants to dig deeper here.

Look back to the '40's when St. Louis had a Danora, PA SMOG episode and you will see why 5.040 was created to rid the area of hand-fired coal stoves/furnaces!! Rule is obsolete now because we need to burn BIOMASS but need OWB's to burn clean AND NOT SMOKE!!

Racer18
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer18 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:29 am

I am in my second year of using one. All I can say is..if you dont mind cutting wood, its the best investment I've ever made. We heat
our hot water with it, and the improvement in the dishwasher, and the clean clothes are amazing, not to mention the awesome baths
and showers. Mine is a Clear Flame, installed it myself. I am in Indiana, and last year we had a fairly cold winter. I used about 15 truck-
loads of wood last year. Our house is 2600sf, and pretty well insulated.
The smoke is not a big deal, unless you live in town, or have neighbors that are tree-huggers, lol, you can barely see wisps of light
smoke coming out till it requests more heat, then it puts out a fair amount for about 1-2 minutes. I set my upper temp on 180, and it
works out well. Oh- I don't use dry seasoned wood most of the time, because it burns up too fast. Just cut the wood up, stack it, then
only split it when u need to use it, and only split it small enough to load!
Once again--we LOVE ours, and only wish I'd gotten one 10 years ago! I spent ZERO on propane last year--not an exaggeration, and,
I'm not affiliated with any manufacturer. Just try to deal with someone local, that you trust! And...I never cut standng timber, theres
plenty on the ground that works great.

Racer18
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer18 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:00 pm

Its Dec 28th, and I have spent $0 on propane, still.

crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:38 pm

pdq67 wrote:all I'm going to say is that at idle it smokes a lot and this is why the EPA is down on them.
At least the EPA hasn't tightened fireplace regs yet..

My mom had one, I can't remember the brand, and it cost them a ton to have installed. Once operational, it cost them about a log or two a day. You still have to clean out the ash though....

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:47 pm

I was thinking about this driving to work this morning on how to cut the smoke production of OWB's.

I'd make one such that the firebox would be made out of a heavy SS cylinder just flapper closed off at the back and hung from the roof just down the middle up top front and rear so it is suspended at two points and can expand and contract. Don't weld the end steel, but rather allow it to float like the cylinderical firebox will do.

Next, leave a 1" or so air gap between the water tank. This will allow the firebox to burn a lot hotter and radiate heat to the water tank because the boiler won't be directly cooling/chilling the shell of the firebox. Burning it a lot hotter wil cut smoke production drastically.

I do know that gigantic power plant water-wall tube boilers are suspended way up top at their four corners such that the whole boiler is suspended loose so it can move in all directions to keep it from cracking at temperature!! It take's a hell of a super-structure to support a gigantic power plant boiler for sure!

pdq67