New garage build.

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Re: New garage build.

Post by vortecpro » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:21 pm

cpmotors wrote:close up view of mount.
Thanks Pete, heres a picture, but not real good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.

Notchback
Pro
Pro

Post by Notchback » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:57 am

First off, let me say that I wish I had gotten the opportunity to work in any of those shops as a kid. My god, they are so clean and organized. I can't even begin to tell you what messy shops I have been in. You would think they were hoarders.

Secondly, we have been using a product called "stone hard" at work and while it is pricey it is extremely durable. I can't even mar it with a hammer. I wish I had a better pic of the floor but this is all I could find. There is some debris on the floor to the left, didn't want anyone to think a chunk was missing out of it.
new stand construction.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:02 am

That Air Compressor setup looks like a scary accident waiting to happen. I'd think all the vibrations from that compressor would eventually loosen the wall mount making it fall down, maybe on someone (Murphy's Law). Setup up vertically, I wouldn't think it would use that much space. Maybe consider building a compressor station/hut on the outside of the building. It would have the added benefit of making it quieter on the inside of the shop.
Joe Facciano

blockislandguy
Pro
Pro

Post by blockislandguy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:04 pm

Let me suggest that a vertical compressor, let alone a vertical air compressor hung sideways over a door jam is not the way to go.

Get an Ingersoll Rand unit , not one from Harbor Frite. Order a 10 HP or 15 HP horizontal unit from one of the on line air compressor dealers. Have it shipped in from out of state to avoid the sales tax. Put it outside in a hut if you have to. Install a Donaldson air cleaner on the compressor intake to quiet it down. Then run 15' of PVC pipe up high above the machine to bring cool, dry air. Invert the end of the pipe high in the air into an upside down U so that rain can't get in. Run synthetic lube oil. Use flexible, shock absorbing marine engine mounts from the West Marine catalog because they are better and cheaper than the usual 'optional' flex mounts offered by the compressor manufacturer.

Voila, an air compressor that will run for 30 years when Harbor Frite will only be a distant memory in American retailing.