Big crack in concrete floor.

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Pro
Pro

Big crack in concrete floor.

Post by econo racer » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:50 am

I am sure big tree roots did this. My concrete floor has a huge crack maybe 12 feet long and getting wider fast. If I cut the tree down and drill big holes through then put quick crete in there will it work? I am starting to think it is getting a little hollow underneath. I will run a boro scope down under to see how hollow if any. What would you do? :(

BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Re: Big crack in concrete floor.

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:44 pm

There are contractors that can pump grout into the area under the floor filling cracks and raise the floor if necessary.

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Trees are death on foundations and slab floors. Most times the floor heaves up instead of dropping. Is there steel in the floor?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine

econo racer
Pro
Pro

Post by econo racer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:17 am

Yes I put the thick fence like in the concrete.

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru

Post by Kevin Johnson » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:40 pm

econo racer wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:50 am
I am sure big tree roots did this. My concrete floor has a huge crack maybe 12 feet long and getting wider fast. If I cut the tree down and drill big holes through then put quick crete in there will it work? I am starting to think it is getting a little hollow underneath. I will run a boro scope down under to see how hollow if any. What would you do? :(
Where do you live?

Around here I would be checking to make sure it wasn't a sinkhole, tree or no tree. (Pasco County, FL)

econo racer
Pro
Pro

Post by econo racer » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:10 am

Lower Alabama.

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru

Post by Kevin Johnson » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:29 am

econo racer wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:10 am
Lower Alabama.
http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/03/florida ... ing_b.html

dwilliams
Guru
Guru

Post by dwilliams » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:54 pm

The slab at my shop cracked. It didn't seem to bother anything so I ignored it. But it was a wooden building, and at the outside edge of the crack termites came up into the wall without leaving visible sign inside or outside. $$$

68post

Post by 68post » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:11 am

Don't use Quickcrete, use concrete repair epoxy, (or concrete repair caulking if it's 1/2" and under). The epoxy is much stronger than bagged concrete.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:20 pm

If indeed an uplift is caused by root growth, killing the tree/root, only means, over a matter of time, as it decomposes, the process will reverse, likely very slowly, and likely never to the point the crack visually seals itself. Meaning anything you add now to fill the crack, will become a stress problem later.

Kevin Johnson
Guru
Guru

Post by Kevin Johnson » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:35 pm

A couple days ago I picked up some packing peanuts from a local business and chatted with the owner (a big car enthusiast). While we were talking he mentioned that the front of the building (where I was standing at the time) has a big sinkhole under it.

An engineering firm told him that he is fortunate that the building has a strong steel frame otherwise the front would have already separated. Sure enough when I left I could see that the asphalt in the parking lot was down about 12 inches at that part of the building.

There is a street that I regularly drive on in our area which the county has repeatedly filled in with asphalt to level out a dip over the past twenty-five years. I try to drive around that section if at all possible and Samantha is aware of it too. One of these days -- whoomph !! -- it will surely collapse.

Be very cautious and have the area under the floor tested if you haven't already. Sinkholes have no problem swallowing gigantic trees with extensive root structures too.

Dave Koehler
Guru
Guru

Post by Dave Koehler » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:01 pm

We have two those within 5 miles of each other.
It kind of stands to reason they exist. This whole area was woods and swamp land until they started clearing and draining it in the 1800s.
1 is subtle but if you drive it everyday you can expect it to drop within 5 years of repaving.
The other one is really pronounced and semi famous around here when you are young and fast. :D
It's a nice 10 foot drop with a relatively smooth entry and exit.

It happens to be across from a farmer friend of mine. I happened to be out there when they were filling it up again.
There has to be twenty feet of asphalt already under the low point.
The farmer and I sought out the engineer to have some fun.
I asked if he expected this to not drop.
He said yes, I am an certified highway engineer and have calculated this out to the inch.
I said, you know that there is a sinkhole under there and it will drop again to it's present depth a few years from now.
He got this funny look and said that's impossible.
Nope, it's there and every few years an engineer thinks he can outsmart it.
He got a little paler but refused to believe it.
Farmer friend spoke up.
You should have gotten a crackerjack geologist involved not that it would have helped.
The sister sink hole to this is over by my barn.
This is a 100 yr farm.
We have been dropping old machinery, cow carcasses, building materials, etc. down there since day one.
Fill it up over and over and over.
The engineer walked away mumbling.

It's been two years now and it is beginning to droop.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."