High lift doors

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

High lift doors

Post by mk e » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:41 am

Not sure this is interesting to anyone other than me but I'm (slowly)building a new garage. I went with a 10' ceiling so there is no issue with the engine crane or adding a lift at some point.

That go me looking at high lift door setups to get the door up near the ceiling. I found that if I bought the doors at the door place they would install them however I wanted but the quotes were about $500/door more than the same door at homedepot....and i need 3...an my wife wants to change the 2 on the house to match what she picked for the new garage. That's a lot of money....

I found a door place online that does highlight conversion kits. They sell you brackets plus a section of track for $200 or just brackets and you cut the track off the back end of the track you have ( highlift means it doesn't need as much in back) for $125.

But then the doors we picked out (clopay) come with extension springs and highlight needs torsion....and the clopay torsion upgrade won't work either. So it needs a torsion conversion for another $200 and shipping was almost another $200. Yuck

I found a local door place that sells parts and bought the torsion stuff with highlift drums and springs and a set of winding bars for $240.

Then I just cut the back off the upper tracks and welded it to the vertical tracks for free. I bought L-brackets at lowes for $2 each to support it...so $4/door instead of $125 :)

Note the extensions need to be welded at about 6 degrees because the top roller is normally on the radius and not aligned with the other rollers.

I used the cables that came with the extension spring setup and cut to length then use a crimp on cable end...25 cents each.

It came out pretty good. I just bought parts for 1 to see how it went...even Lana said it's nice and wondered why all doors aren't done that way and that is a HUGE compliment, normally she just rolls her eyes when I show her garage/shop stuff.....the down side is she want the new house doors done the same way.

I went up 24" figuring tracks are built for 8' and I have 10. Looking at it now I probably could have gone 27" or 28".....the 10' wall sits on 3.5"-4" of block, I forgot about that.

Also note that normal openers won't work with this setup, you need a liftmaster opener that turns the torsion shaft. I'm not sure I'll ever add openers but I did put outlets in the ceiling near the shaft just in case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Re: High lift doors

Post by n2xlr8n » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:54 am

Finally!

A lifetime of study paying off. :wink:

Back to the Ferrari.

Nice job as usual, Mark.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:06 am

I need to get the car and equipment into the garage....so I needed a door that I could open :)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:18 am

Mark, among other talents you're "a writer born"

While your technical literacy and "can do" approach is encouraging, your acceptance of Family vicissitudes is nothing short of exemplary :wink:

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:08 am

Leftcoaster wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:18 am
Mark, among other talents you're "a writer born"
If only I were a speller or proofreader born.....I post some pretty egregious errors. :oops:

I started the down threat just thinking maybe I'm not the only one who never gave doors a second thought.....open/close good!. The garage on my house has an almost 11ft ceiling but the bottom of the opened door is just over 7 and Lana it always smacking the hatch into it. Working in my dad's garage as a kid I had to close the door in the hot summer to do engine work....buts it's only a couple hundred bucks to move the door up to the ceiling and be done with that nonsense.....live and learn.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer