Rustoleum paint job

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

rfoll
Guru
Guru

Rustoleum paint job

Post by rfoll »

PICT0002.JPG
Two quarts of Sunrise red, one quart of naptha. About $25.00 plus tape. Previous owner had rattle can painted it with the same, so I added more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So much to do, so little time...
Nick Campagna
Pro
Pro
Re: Rustoleum paint job

Post by Nick Campagna »

very nice. how many coats, and sanding regime ?
Is the defect in what I see, or what I'm seeing with ?
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

The car was hideous, but all the same color. I believed it would not take any normal paint, (it would lift), without sanding it and the rattle can primer completely off. I sanded the orange peel off with 400 grit and used red primer where it burned through to the grey primer to hold color. I cut the paint about a third with the naptha, and shot it with one coat. Rustoleum from the can dries slow, only naptha will thin it enough for it to flow and not run. Temp needs to be around 70 degrees and no sun or it will orange peel. I ran a few experiments with sanding and buffing, but the high gloss goes away some. It was tricky to apply, getting it on wet without running. Car craft did a story on this with a roller application and lots of sanding and buffing. my trick was to get it in one shot, I wasn't about to spend a couple of days buffing on a car I intended to sell. It is not a very durable paint for a car, but you can't argue the $25.00 cost for paint.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I painted some trucks, bulkheads and other equipment years ago (90's) with industrial utility enamels. Problem with Rustoleum is it ALWAYS fades. Had better luck with the Tru-Value / Tru-Test enamel not fading.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
4sfed
Pro
Pro

Post by 4sfed »

I'm impressed. Nice job of photographing too.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

pict0001.JPG
It's not something you would do to a keeper. For the prep work involved, good paint would have been easier, but for a beater to sell, it saved me about $200 and increased the profit from the sale by at least $500. People lined up in the driveway at an advertised price of $1500. Before paint I would have been lucky to get half that. When I started sanding on the trunk, I found holes where someone had mounted a spoiler.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

I was planning to put this truck out of its misery, but my boys (7 and 10) had another idea.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars